Description: Church of St Michael
Date Listed: 19 September 1969
English Heritage Building ID: 213467
OS Grid Reference: SD8746705689
OS Grid Coordinates: 387467, 405689
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5477, -2.1906
MIDDLETON TOWNLEY STREET
SD 80 NE
Church of St Michael
(formerly listed as
St Michael's and All
Church. 1902 with side chapel added in 1926 and tower in
1930. By Austin and Paley. Snecked stone with clay tile
roof. Nave with clerestory and aisles, chancel flanked by
side chapel, vestry and organ chamber; virtually free
standing tower to west of north aisle. Gothic Revival in a
Perpendicular style. 4-bay nave and aisle with weathered
buttresses. 2, 3 and 4-light flat-headed aisle windows and
3-light round-arched clerestory windows with Perpendicular
tracery. Coped gables with kneelers and cross finials.
Transversely roofed organ chamber and vestry, both gabled.
5-light west and east windows the former above a canted
baptistry. The 4-stage tower has diagonal buttresses, an
octagonal corner stair turret, bands separating each stage,
a door below chequer-patterned stonework, a 4-light window,
clock-faces on the third stage, 3-light belfry openings and
a castellated parapet above a blind mouchette frieze.
Interior: rock-faced stone. Double-chamfered arches on
octagonal nave arcade columns. Tie-beam and collar roof
trusses. Carved stone and timber fittings. Stained glass.
The church stands on an elevated site.
Listing NGR: SD8746705689
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.