Description: Obelisk Adjacent to South-East Corner of Church of St. John the Baptist
Date Listed: 15 July 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 213475
OS Grid Reference: SD6761303104
OS Grid Coordinates: 367613, 403104
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5236, -2.4900
ATHERTON MARKET PLACE
SD 60 SE
2/7 Obelisk adjacent
corner of Church
of St. John the
Obelisk. 1781. Probably erected for Robert Vernon Atherton.
Restored 1867. The shaft, largely dating from 1867, has sunk
panels in each face. It stands on a rusticated pedestal and
stylobate. Marks the site of a former ancient fair but still
acts as a prominent focal point.
Listing NGR: SD6761303104
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.