Description: 39 and 40, Calthorpe Road B15
Date Listed: 8 July 1982
English Heritage Building ID: 216845
OS Grid Reference: SP0544285657
OS Grid Coordinates: 405442, 285657
Latitude/Longitude: 52.4688, -1.9213
Nos 39 and 40
SP 0585 NW 39/31
Circa 1830 pair of Calthorpe Estate semi-detached stucco villas. Two storeys,
3 bays each, with coach houses. Common hipped slate roof with flat eaves;
corniced stucco chimneys. Front articulated by giant order of Soanian incised
panel pilasters, coupled to centre at party wall. Plain revealed glazing
bar sashes on first floor. One ground floor window of each house replaced
circa 1850 by pilastered rectangular bay window with bracketed cornice, not
identical No 30 also has tripartite glazing bar sash window to right hand.
Narrow entrance bay to centre of each front with pediment on acanthus leaf
consoles above recessed doorways. No 39 has slightly recessed link wall,
with side entrance, to pediment gabled coach house (modernised). No 40 a
single bay 2 storey wing, virtually in same plane, containing segmental arched
coach house doors on ground floor with side entrance, and first floor window.
Listing NGR: SP0544285657
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.