Description: 75-79, Francis Road B16
Date Listed: 18 July 1980
English Heritage Building ID: 217059
OS Grid Reference: SP0535186104
OS Grid Coordinates: 405351, 286104
Latitude/Longitude: 52.4728, -1.9226
Nos 75 to 79 (consec)
SP 0586 SW 37/8 18.7.80
1838. A pair of semi-detached houses either side of a larger house, No 77,
Nos 75 Claremont House and Nos 78 and 79 stuccoed. 2 storeys plus basement;
4 trays wide with the outer ones rusticated in bands on the ground
floor, advanced somewhat and containing the doors approached up steps and
within moulded eared surround. Above the door, a small arched window and
blank panel within a moulded surround surmounted by a panel and flanked by
Ionic pilasters carrying an entablature. The centre bays with 2 sash windows
on both ground and first floors (replaced in the ground floor of No 78 and
79 by canted bay windows). Moulded band at first floor level. Cornice; blocking
course (missing in Nos 75 and 76.
Nos 75 and 76 have their basements opened up into garages and attic storeys
added. No 77 (Clifton House). 2 storeys plus basement and attic; 3 bays
with rusticated pilasters left and right. Stucco. Ground floor with central
panelled door with fanlight flanked by Tuscan pilasters carrying an entablature
and approached up 6 steps and with single arched sash window on either side.
Moulded string course at first floor level. First floor with 3 flat-headed
3-pane sash windows with blank panels beneath; the central window narrower
than the other two. Cornice. Altered attic storey with 3 modern casement
windows. Single bays, set back somewhat from the front of the block, centre
it to the pairs of semi-detached houses.
Listing NGR: SP0535186104
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.