Description: Erdington Cottage Homes
Date Listed: 8 July 1982
English Heritage Building ID: 217087
OS Grid Reference: SP1027691354
OS Grid Coordinates: 410276, 291354
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5200, -1.8500
Fentham Road (off)
Nos 1 to 17 (odd)
(Erdington Cottage Homes)
SP 19 SW 4/4
1898 built as the Aston Union Cottage Homes, part of an expanded almshouse
planned formal layout, but akin to the garden city ideal. Architects: Franklin,
Cross and Nicholas of Birmingham. Nos 1 to 17 form the east range of housing
flanking the central avenue and are set back behind broad planted lawns.
Nos 1 to 15 form residential units comprising alternating detached and semi-detached
cottages. The style is a Birmingham version of Queen Anne still retaining
elements of the ornamental cut and moulded brick idiom found in the Lenche's
Trust almshouses of the late 70s and 80s. Two storeys with single or coupled
pediment gabled breaks with small canted bay windows to ground floor - the
windows of flanking elevations narrow and paired glazing bar sashes with flush
frames and moulded brick pediments and sill aprons; deep, bracketed hood porches.
No 17 at right angles to avenue at north end was probably the former school
annexe (via No 22) and is a 2-storey range with close set segmental arched
glazing bar sashes - hipped roof.
Listing NGR: SP1037791312
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.