Mortuary Chapel at Handsworth Cemetery, Birmingham
Description: Mortuary Chapel at Handsworth Cemetery
Date Listed: 8 July 1982
English Heritage Building ID: 217484
OS Grid Reference: SP0295490731
OS Grid Coordinates: 402954, 290731
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5145, -1.9579
Location: Camp Lane, Birmingham B20 2PL
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
5104 Handsworth B21
Mortuary Chapel at
SP 09 SW 2/12
1909-10, by W H Bidlake. In an Arts and Crafts style. Red brick in English
bond; white stone dressings; slate roof. Six bays, the fourth wider than
the others and creating miniscule transepts which have tall 3-light rather
than tall 2-light windows. Polygonal turrets mark the transition from nave
to apsidal east end. Two west towers with lanterns and spires and, between
them, an octagonal space so arranged that half of it is without the chapel
and half of it within, where it is glazed to form a west gallery. The inside
of yellow stock brick with pink stone dressings. Lierne vault with richly
carved bosses. A narrow ambulatory runs right round the chapel. Rainwater
heads and benches etc all of good design and workmanship. Bidlake is buried
in the cemetery in an unmarked grave.
Listing NGR: SP0295490731
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.