Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 8 September 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 218041
OS Grid Reference: SP2069975989
OS Grid Coordinates: 420699, 275989
Latitude/Longitude: 52.3816, -1.6973
BALSALL TEMPLE BALSALL
SP 27 NW 11/155 Church of St Mary
Built circa 1290 for the Knights Templars. Used by the Knights Hospitallers until
1540. Restored 1660's and used as chapel of adjacent almshouses from 1677. Parish
church from 1863. Much restored in late C13 style by Sir George Gilbert Scott, 1849.
Rectangular plan with small south west corner turret, fragmentary remains of south
porch fan vaulting.
Interior: series of steps up to east end. C19 fittings, college chapel plan seating.
C18 and early C19 wall monuments. Piscina, sedilia. Aumbry recess. VCH, IV, pp
Church of Saint Mary, Temperlars Hall, North East Range, South West Range, Entrance
Gateway and side Walls at the Lady Katherine Leveson Hospital, Vicarage and Temple
House form a group.
Listing NGR: SP2070175995
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.