Date Listed: 13 September 1982
English Heritage Building ID: 219088
OS Grid Reference: SP0152898378
OS Grid Coordinates: 401528, 298378
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5832, -1.9789
WALSALL MB HIGH STREET (north side)
SP 01 98 SE
Guildhall. 1867, by G B Nichols, now being converted into shops (September
1985). Sandstone. Classical style. Built on sloping site, of two storeys
divided by entablature, with basement at left-hand side. Six bays. Outer
bays project and are flanked by pilasters, other bays divided by engaged columns:
Doric on the ground floor and Composite above. Ground floor rusticated.
Windows have round heads, moulded imposts, and angle shafts. Those on the
ground floor have carved masks, those above have keystones. Left-hand bay
has two windows, one above the other, with flat heads. The second bay is
narrow and has a doorway with stepped keystone. Above is an oeil-de-boeuf.
On the first floor is a niche for a statue. The right-hand bay has a doorway
with round head, moulded imposts, and mask. The right-hand return wall, facing
Goodall Street, is of three bays and is treated in a similar manner, except that
the bays of the first floor are divided by Doric pilasters. (Fink, D: Walsall
Guildhall, Walsall Local History Paper, No 4, 1984).
Listing NGR: SP0152898378
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.