British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Breckles Hall, Stow Bedon

Description: Breckles Hall

Grade: I
Date Listed: 21 July 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 220239

OS Grid Reference: TL9619494470
OS Grid Coordinates: 596194, 294470
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5128, 0.8898

Location: Stow Bedon, Norfolk NR17 1EW

Locality: Stow Bedon
Local Authority: Breckland District Council
County: Norfolk
Country: England
Postcode: NR17 1EW

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Stow Bedon, Norfolk at Explore Britain.

Listing Text


12/77 Breckles Hall
21/ 7/51

G.V. I

Country House. Built of brick with partly timber framed interior from c.1550,
completed 1583. Plain tiled roof. Restored 1900 by Detmar Blow with additions
1908 by Sir Edwin Lutyens. E plan though first designed as H plan. 2 storeys
and attic. Windows generally casements with leaded lights and original glass,
double spring catches and hinges. Almost all windows in house of similar
type and condition, the timber windows with hollow moulded mullions, brick
ones with ovolo mouldings. West front balanced round central porch by Blow
rising full height with stepped octagonal corner turrets. 4-centred doorway
below 3-light reused C16 cross mullioned timber casement. Gabled roof. Similar
casements to north and south porch walls. One 5-light timber cross casement
to each floor of main wall. Gabled roof containing 2 gabled dormers with
timber cross casements. North cross wing with one 4 or 5-light timber cross
casement to each floor including attic, each retaining hood moulds. Gable
head originally carried octagonal pinnacles at eaves and apex, but only bases
remain. One dormer as main range. South cross wing similar except ground
floor window is early C18 sash with glazing bars (Morning room), the hood
moulds are removed but pinnacles survive. South front dominated by 2 external
chimney breasts gabled back to roof, carrying 2 or 3 octagonal stacks
respectively. Irregular fenestration, including 3 early C18 sashes with
glazing bars. South door is C16 complete with hinges, catches and locks.
2 square overlights, also C16. Gabled roof with 2 dormers and details as
front. South-east gable stepped with coping tiles and obscured by projecting
window bay through full height with subsidiary stepped gable head. Rendered
brick cross casements to each floor of 5 or 6 lights, with 2-light casements
in return. Main east facade orientated by row of 7 gables at attic. One
low side window to chapel (now lavatory) and 24 assorted brick and timber
cross casement windows regularly arranged, all C16 with glazing, catches and
hinges as before. 4 gabled dormers with timber casements behind this range
light long gallery at attic level and are earlier than east facade. Gabled
roof with ridge stacks : square to left; triple octagonal to right; rebuilt
north end stack. 2 groups of branching water pipes and heads by Lutyens 1908
Service wing to north in Elizabethan style by Lutyens 1908. One storey and
dormer attic with 4 large cross mullioned timber casements below 4 gabled
dormers with similar windows. 2 groups quadruple octagonal stacks. Late
C20 conservatory. Service wing west front of 5 attic gables through 2 storeys
and windows as before. North cross wing of main house gabled to left against
which is late C19 2 storey window bay crenellated at parapet with rendered
brick cross casements. C16 timber casement in attic gable. C19 door below
2 C16 casements at first floor and external stepped chimney breast at right.
Interior. Interior doors, cupboards, panelling and minor fittings C16 unless
otherwise stated, mostly with original catches and hinges, the latter H,
H. or cockshead. Great Hall to right of porch and kitchen to left opened
into one room and panelled in C19. One original 4-centred fireplace to each
room. Chapel, now lavatory, with ovolo moulded doorcase and door. Library,
now office, partly panelled with fireplace overmantel on pinch necked pilasters
carrying paired beaded pilasters to top rail enclosing decorated frieze. and
figure sculpture. Drawing room with close studded timber framed interior walls
with middle rail. Morning room refurbished early C18 with wide framed
panelling now boxed over with hardboard. Fine moulded fireplace and timber
cornice. Study fireplace : square plinth below fluted caryatid pilasters to
bressummer with 4 acanthus brackets supporting mantel. Overmantel in 3 bays
defined by 2 free standing close spiral-twist balusters with figure heads
and 2 engaged pilasters with figures in C16 dress. 2 acanthus brackets above
carry deeply coffered top rail. 3 central coffered panels with carving, That
to centre bay George and the Dragon. Main staircase is dog leg through 2
storeys with solid treads in timber framed stair well. Close studded framing
with middle rails. Long gallery timber framed, now divided into individual
rooms gabled out to east at attic level. Middle staircase is newel winder
with ball turned balusters at gallery level reached through fine panelled
door with incised decoration below pediment with scrolled overthrows and vine
scrolled frieze. Francis Woodhouse room with 4-centred moulded fireplace.
Complete panelling of 1583 with arcaded frieze. Overmantel in 3 bays are
modified wall panels separated by Ionic pilasters to top rail, each bay
articulated by semi-circular arch with punched billet decoration carried on
modified Doric pilasters. One strapwork cartouche in each bay inscribed
15 - 83 - F.W. Wall painting of Bacchus on barrel of wine in Great Hall by
Rex Whistler 1944. C16 documentary evidence of Priest's hole, possibly in
Francis Woodhouse room, seen by Pevsner but not found by Inspector. This
house is of national importance on account of almost complete survival of
wooden and metal-work fittings. Augustus Jessop, 'Notes on the History of
Breccles Hall, Norfolk', Norfolk Archaeologia, 1879, pp. 303-18. Country
Life, Vol. XXVI 1909, p. 670 and 706.

Listing NGR: TL9619494470

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.