If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 16 July 1958
English Heritage Building ID: 220573
OS Grid Reference: TM0411886005
OS Grid Coordinates: 604118, 286005
Latitude/Longitude: 52.4339, 1.0013
Explore more of the area around Kenninghall, Norfolk at Explore Britain.
TM 0486 KENNINGHALL CHURCH STREET
TM 0485 (north side)
12/56 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Flint with ashlar dressings and leaded roofs. Late C15 west
tower, early C14 nave, north aisle and chancel, altered C15 fenestration,
chancel restored 1874, nave 1890-91. 3 stage tower with diagonal buttresses,
the lower stage chequered with ashlar standing on panelled base course
decorated with wheel and diaper panels. Arched west door and 3-light C15
west window under relieving arch. String courses at division of stages.
Lancet ringing chamber lights and 2-light belfry windows below crenellated
parapet. Low gabled south porch c.1400 with 4-centred entrance arch with
hood on head stops, diagonal buttresses, sundial in gable and 2-light side
windows under square hoods. C12 south doorway with one order of shafts
carrying fluted capitals with square imposts. Imposts and voussoirs with
bands of panelled dog-tooth. On east jamb C12 carving of dog, on west rider-
less horse c.1300. 3 3-light C15 Perpendicular south windows between flat
buttresses (diagonal at east). Truncated round-headed Y window of C14 above
porch and 5 2-light trefoil headed clerestory windows under depressed arches.
3 restored early C14 cusped Y windows to chancel with continuous hoods above
string course, the western window dropping to low side window. Flat buttress
and angle buttresses flanking similar 3-light east window. Angle buttresses
to north chancel which is continuous with nave aisle with flat buttresses.
East and north aisle windows 3-light C15 Perpendicular under 4-centred arches
with hood moulds. C16 4-centred chapel doorway in square hood with spandrels
inscribed W...B within leaf trail. 2 eastern clerestory windows as south,
3 remainder are encircled quatrefoils. Early C14 north doorway. Interior.
5 bay north arcade, the east bay transeptual, alternating octagonal and
quatrefoil piers, the latter with rolls between lobes. Double sunk chamfer
arches on moulded capitals. Clerestory windows in spandrels. Circular tower
arch with hollow jambs and chancel arch as nave arcades. C15 King post roof
with queen struts to chamfered through purlins, the tie beams on arched braces
dropping to wall posts on corbels. 2 eastern roof trusses filled with C19
tracery but with heavily roll moulded C15 ties, wall plates, wall arches and
butt purlins. Eastern bays of aisle roof similarly elaborated. Arched braced
crenellated tie beam at north east chapel supports Royal Arms of Elizabeth
I rustically painted in form of arch head bearing inscription God Save The
Queen. 2 fragments of poppyhead benches under tower. Ringing gallery
bressummer early C17, balustrade above C19. Plain octagonal C14 font with
elaborate cover of late C14 : 8 radiating buttresses on base support central
drum, each buttress with 2-light pierced tracery with transom supporting
quatrefoil head; painted drum flanked by crocketted finials of buttresses
from which further engaged buttresses rise, also with crockets and finials;
crocketted top stage is a restoration terminating in inverted octagonal trumpet
finial. Trefoiled holy water stoup in south nave wall and ogeed piscina to
east. Painted Royal Arms of Charles I over north door. C19 king post chancel
roof, moulded arched piscina beside bench sedilia under 4-centred moulded
arch within square hood, Altar tomb c.1500 to George, Lord Audeley of 3 bays
north and south : large quatrefoils with internal cusping bear blank shields
and flank 2-light tracery with reticulation frieze; bell based plinth and
marble top from which brasses removed. East and west ends damaged.
Listing NGR: TM0411886005
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.