If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Andrew
Date Listed: 16 July 1958
English Heritage Building ID: 220616
OS Grid Reference: TM0394981751
OS Grid Coordinates: 603949, 281751
Latitude/Longitude: 52.3958, 0.9962
Explore more of the area around South Lopham, Norfolk at Explore Britain.
TM 08 SW SOUTH LOPHAM
6/96 Church of St. Andrew
Parish church. Mid Cll nave, reworked c.1150 and C15, south aisle late C14,
central tower c.1120 and late C14 chancel. Rubblestone and flint with ashlar
dressings and various roof coverings : south aisle and porch lead; nave
corrugated asbestos; chancel slate. Chancel restored 1866, remainder 1874
west end with diagonal buttress to north, flat to south, both reaching to
arcade level only. 3-light transomed west window of c.1470. South aisle
with 3 2-light branching mouchette tracery windows over pair of cusped semi-
circular sub-arches, all with hood moulds and moulded jambs. Gabled south
porch with re-used ashlar quoins and low parapet on kneelers, the kneelers
with 3 ball flower, this motif repeated at aisle west parapet above diagonal
buttress. Plain arched porch entrance and lancet side lights. Inner south
door double wave and wave moulded with hood on head stops. 3-light aisle
east window of c.1470. Clerestory added c.1470 of 5 2-light 4-centred windows
with continuous hood moulds (only 4 clerestory windows to north). The south
clerestory wall of knapped flint with flushwork initials between, from west
: I.S. (Jesus Salvatur); MR (Maria Regina); crowned T (the Trinity); AT
(unidentified). Timber wall plate cornice. 4 stage tower with diminishing
clasping buttresses,that to north west elaborated into square stepped stair
tower reaching to parapet and pierced with lancet lights. Lower first stage
south has late C12 Norman door blocked with flint and 2-light mid C14 lozenge
tracery window. Base on north of knapped flint with one C13 lancet. First
stage north and south continues with 2 large round arches on square pilaster
and responds. Second stage south and east of 2 groups of 3 arches divided
by undifferentiated pillar, each group on two columns with cushion capitals
elaborated with single scallops at corners, West side with one round arch
each site of apex of nave roof. North side has 2 groups of 2 arches and
all stages symmetrically disposed to accommodate stair turret. One or 2 lancet
lights to ringing chamber within second stage arcading. Third stage with
paired blocked windows also with cushion capitals. Top stage has 2 belfry
windows divided by pilaster strip and responds with cushion capitals. C15
flushwork crenellated parapet. Chancel south with low side window and moulded
priest's door, flat buttress and 2 renewed windows - 2-light petal tracery
to west, 3-light mouchette under 4-centred arch to east. Diagonal east
buttresses and elaborate 5-light east window of 1866 of amorphous Decorated
design. Lean-to Cl9 vestry to north and one renewed 2-light mouchette window.
North nave wall pierced by tall 2-light C15 panel tracery window at east.
Blocked north door c,1150 : One order shafts with single incised scalloped
cushion capitals and squared imposts carrying zig-zag arch below billet arch.
To west again one double splayed Anglo-Saxon circular window of mid Cll.
Interior. 4 bay south arcade of quatrefoil piers with fillets north and south
running into polygonal abaci. Arches with hollow and wave mouldings.
Clerestory windows irregularly placed above. False hammerbeam nave roof of
c.1470, the wall plate and hammerbeam both crenellated. Arched braces rise
to crenellated collars which carry short king posts to moulded ridge piece.
One tier moulded butt purlins. C14 font with traceried panels to bowl and
stem. C17 crown cover with baluster finial. Bench sedilia and angle piscina
to east aisle chapel. C15 aisle roof of tie beams on arched braces. Crossing
arches to east and west with roll moulding carried on shafted responds with
cushion capitals, all c,l120. North-west pier has cinquefoiled ogeed
statuary niche. Wall arches to north and south. Crossing roof similar to
aisle and chancel. Chancel has stepped sedilia and angle piscina. Excellent
set of C15 bench ends in pews of crossing : carved traceried ends with finials
of figurative and animal motifs.
Listing NGR: TM0394981751
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.