Description: Church of St Peter
Date Listed: 23 June 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 220970
OS Grid Reference: TL8164495067
OS Grid Coordinates: 581644, 295067
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5232, 0.6760
1677/5/23 THE STREET
23-JUN-60 Church of St Peter
Parish church. Tower C14; the rest 1865-6 by R.M. Phipson. Flint with ashlar
and some brick dressings. Plaintile roofs. Nave with north aisle and north
porch; chancel with extension of north aisle. C14 west tower with diagonal
buttresses and cusped Y-traceried 2-light bell-openings. Crenellated parapet
with chequer flushwork. Fine timber framed north porch in Medieval style on
a flint plinth. Wavy braces and cusped barge boards. Alternating Y-traceried
and 3-circle headed 3-light windows; 4 to south wall and 4 to north aisle.
Chancel with 2 2-light windows and a 3-light east window in Geometric style.
North chapel with a 3-light east window and 2 2-light windows. Interior.
Medieval tower arch of 2 hollow-chamfered orders supported on carved corbels
representing angels holding shields. 4-bay arcade of 2 plain chamfered orders
on circular piers. Elaborately carved corbels serving as responds to east and
west. Chancel arch with carved leaf capitals. Double piscina with triple
sedilia in chancel. Arch braced nave roof with carved angels. Polygonal stone
pulpit in early C14 style with coloured marble and carved biblical scenes
beneath ogee arches. Octagonal font in similar mode. Complete set of Victorian
glass mainly by Heaton, Butler and Bayne.
Listing NGR: TL8164495067
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.