If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Wallington Hall
Date Listed: 9 July 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 221334
OS Grid Reference: TF6272307588
OS Grid Coordinates: 562723, 307588
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6416, 0.4035
Explore more of the area around Runcton Holme, Norfolk at Explore Britain.
TF 60 NW RUNCTON HOLME
8/2 Wallington Hall
Country House of complex plan with many alterations and dates. Brick walls
with rubblestone interior and plaintiled roofs. Originally a hall house
of early C16 with porch c.1525, Elizabethan cross wing added to north altered
original interior disposition, further internal refurbishments throughout
C18, south facade refaced mid C18, restored 1918. North front : Central
2½ storey late C16 projecting bay, to left 3 storey refaced block of similar
date, to right C16 hall complex terminated at right by 2 storey porch of
c.1525. Porch of very fine moulded brick and terracotta on square plan
articulated at corners by polygonal turrets capped with tall crocketted
finials. 4-centred arched opening under square hood below 4 bands of
decoration : arcade of cusped and crocketted terracotta arches with finials;
inverted egg and dart string course; band of diamond brick diaper between
roll moulded strings with terracotta emblems; wide brick panel with central
diamond also with terracotta motifs under arcade course. 3-light moulded
brick mullioned window with arched heads below moulded hood on label stops.
Parapet with central finial on square plinth. The corner turrets are decorated
to first floor by trefoil headed arcades in six tiers, each terracotta arch
under square hoods with carved spandrels. East and west faces of porch
in diaper brick work, one blocked 2-light arched window and crenellated
battlements. To left of porch a single bay with door to ground and C20
casement to first floor. Next left external stack serving hall with twin
restored flues and 4-centred arch containing blocked 4-centred hall bay
window now with C20 fenestration in centre. Above 2 further restored C20
casements. Stepped Elizabethan projecting bay in centre of facade has C20
timber cross casements, the gable head decorated with moulded brick zig-
zag and capped by central polygonal finial. To left facade completed by
3 storey range in 7 bays of C16, now with mid C18 sashes, the rhythm
interrupted by 2 crenellated projections, that to east with second storey
3-light timber mullioned window under square hood on labels. East gable
wall c.1525: stepped gable with brick moulded zig-zag course below steps.
Wall projects to accommodate external stack which has brick chequered with
carstone to eaves, a frieze of terracotta arches and engaged crenellation.
Triple polygonal flues on square plinth above similar decoration. South
front. 3 storey 6 bay mid C18 crenellated facade hides C16 core, the centre
4 bays with sashes retaining glazing bars, remainder C20 timber mullion
windows. Stepped gable to west of this homogeneous block, gabled roof and
quadruple octagonal flues to ridge stack as before. To left the south side
of early C16 hall in 2 storeys with 2 C20 dormers. Central 4-light restored
timber cross casement under hood on labels at ground floor and 2 early C19
sashes to upper floor, one tripartite. To right full height dias stair
turret with one original arched light under hipped roof. Stepped west gable
and external stack; internal ridge stack to right. Interior. Dining Room
(Hall) : Panelling C16 with Ionic pilasters at intervals carved with low
relief strapwork. Stone fireplace c.1570 with 4-centred hearth and double
frieze punctuated by 4 square brackets, the friezes with floral strapwork,
the brackets with low relief medallion heads. Elaborate overmantel consists
of central square panel with achievement flanked by tapering pilasters (as
statue pedestals), fluted shell niche each side and further paired tapering
pilasters. Panelling, fireplace and overmantel not in situ. Transverse
bridging beams roll moulded with running-leaf carving, longitudinal bridging
beams and joists double wave moulded. Dias staircase of timber, only upper
part original and now replaced by open cut staircase in western block of
1790 : plain tread ends, square newels, column-on-vase balusters and ramped
handrails. Sitting room 1790, still Rococo; fireplace with marble slip,
shouldered architrave and festoon frieze; plaster wall panels divided by
foliate tresses. Eastern 2 rooms (smoking room) have roll and hollow moulded
bridging beams and joints.
Country Life, Volume LXVI, 1929, pp. 684-690.
Listing NGR: TF6272307588
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.