If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of Holy Trinity
Date Listed: 8 July 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 221349
OS Grid Reference: TF6284005645
OS Grid Coordinates: 562840, 305645
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6241, 0.4043
Explore more of the area around Stow Bardolph, Norfolk at Explore Britain.
TF 60 NW STOW BARDOLPH
8/17 Church of Holy Trinity
Parish church. C12 base of west tower, some C13 work, Hare chapel 1591-
1624, nave and chancel virtually rebuilt by Raphael Brandon during 1848-
50 restoration when chancel aisle added. Carstone and brick with flint
and ashlar dressings. 3 stage tower with heavy diagonal west buttresses
of brick of 1589. Renewed C12 lancets to first and second stage on north
and south, one 2-light Decorated window to west C19. Clock face to north
of 1870. Top stage 1501-3 with 2-light Perpendicular belfry windows and
crenellated parapet. To west of steeply pitched gabled north porch one
renewed C12 lancet. Nave windows all 2-light in various Decorated styles.
Lean-to chancel south aisle similar. 3-light east window of spherical triangle
design, the triangles filled by Kentish tracery. Abutting north chancel
is Hare chapel, of brick, full height : 2 bays divided by 3 stepped buttresses
with 3-light Perpendicular panel traceried windows. East window has transom.
Arched west door below inscription plaque bearing Hare arms and date 1624.
Moulded string course below crenellated north parapet. Gabled roof. This
structure entirely Gothic in feeling for so late a date. Interior. Semi-
circular flat Norman tower arch with responds. Deep interior splays to
tower lancets. Scissor braced and panelled nave roof. C20 font and cover.
C20 screen. Excellent carved and painted Royal Arms over south door to
Charles II. Chancel roof as nave. 2 bench ends in chancel are C15 : on
north a hare grips arms of Hare family; on south a hind supported arms of
Bishop Hind (mutilated). C13 stepped sedilia in chancel with arches on
colonnettes, continuous with double piscina and arched light into vestry,
in character all now 1850. Vestry partitioned from organ by fragment of
late C17 panelling with strapwork top rail and palmettes to door hung on
H hinges. Hare chapel opens to north chapel through wide arch and door.
Hare chapel interior. Steeply pitched arch braced roof with moulded butt
purlins, collar and ridge pieces. Arched braces drop to corbels also
supporting wall posts. Monuments(in clockwise direction). Mary Hare by
M. Daniell 1801. Wall monument in white marble. Neo-classical figure of
deceased leaning on urn against grey ground. Sarah Hare 1744. Coloured
wax effigy half figure in contemporary dress within cupboard which closes
completely. Cupboard with fluted ionic clasping pilasters leading to
inscription plate and pediment. Sir Thomas Hare 1693. Sarcophagus with
gadrooned cornice supports reclining white marble effigy of deceased dressed
in Roman armour. 2 cherubs under cornice bear coat of arms. Wall monument
above Sir Thomas to Hugo Hare 1619. Black marble tablet with inscription
flanked by modified Doric pilasters standing on apron containing cherub
and 2 console brackets. Cornice supports 2 obelisks and central achievement.
To right unidentified wall monument 1597. Black marble inscription tablet
with painted strapwork border flanked by free-standing Corinthian columns.
Console brackets support columns and flank inscribed black marble predella.
Scrolled apron below. Moulded cornice supports 2 obelisks and central
achievement. Monument to Susannah Hare 1741 by Peter Scheemakers in white
and grey marble. Altar pedestal bearing inscription upon which is effigy
of Susannah semi-reclining in loose draperies. Fluted Corinthian pilasters
lead to architrave below which are 2 cherubs in high relief emerging from
clouds. Open pediment broken forward contains achievement, and behind stand
2 urns. Pedestal monument to Sir Randulph Hare 1623 of alabaster and marble.
Tomb chest in 2 bays divided by pilasters containing coats of arms within
strapwork surround. Canopy stands on unfluted Corinthian columns with coffered
ceiling, the coffers with painted roses. Cornice studded with roses and
heavily moulded. 2 obelisks flank elaborate strapwork achievement on scrolled
plinth. Beneath canopy is central black inscribed tabled with painted strap-
work border depicting fruit, hourglasses, helmets and non-figurative designs
of highest quality. Monuments within Hare chapel of National importance.
Listing NGR: TF6284005645
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.