British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Lawrence, Castle Rising

Description: Church of St Lawrence

Grade: I
Date Listed: 15 August 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 222121

OS Grid Reference: TF6663824866
OS Grid Coordinates: 566638, 324866
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7956, 0.4701

Location: Nightmarsh Lane, Castle Rising, Norfolk PE31 6AF

Locality: Castle Rising
Local Authority: King's Lynn and West Norfolk Borough Council
County: Norfolk
Country: England
Postcode: PE31 6AF

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Castle Rising, Norfolk at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TF 62 SE
6/4 Church of St. Laurence
Parish church C12, restored by A. Salvin c1849 at expense of Fulke Greville
Howard d.1846, additions of 1883 at expense of Mary Howard. Carstone and
Sandringham sandstone with dressings of Barnack limestone, very large
undressed blocks of Sandringham sandstone at base of nave, plain tiles to
roof. Nave, central tower, chancel, south porch and south transept. West
facade: coursed carstone and sandstone, 2 limestone string courses, steep
pitched gable rebuilt mid C19 in Sandringham sandstone; central semi-
circular headed west doorway with two shafts to each side renewed, carved
capitals; 2 orders of Romanesque decoration to arch above capitals; blank
arcade above with semi-circular headed window in centre rising above arcade
and richly decorated with 3 orders, 1st order with spiral shafts having
grotesque capitals with arch above of large dogstooth lozenges, 2nd continuous
order of small dogstooth lozenges, inner order with decorated shafts having
grotesque capitals and zig-zag arch above; double arcade either side of
3 outer intersecting semi-circular headed arches with lozenge decoration,
3 smaller inner semi-circular headed arches with triangular ornament, treble
shafts with grotesque capitals; gable above rebuilt c1846 with arcades of
2 blank arches either side of central light, but outer shafts shown on drawing
by J.S. Cotman of 1813; central oculus with plain stone surround c1846.
South nave with 6 high semi-circular headed lights of c1846, 2 to west of
porch; small lean-to of 1883 to east replacing earlier structure. South
porch in greensand c1883 with Romanesque style details; semi-circular south
doorway in yellow limestone, single shafts renewed, single order above of
lozenges. South transept of 1883 in Early English style mainly in sandstone:
angle buttresses, 3-light south window, 2 lancets to east return, single
lancet to west. North facade with varied treatment of carstone and sandstone,
some roughly coursed herringbone work in carstone; north semi-circular headed
doorway with renewed shafts having zig-zag decoration. Square central tower,
raised late C19 by one stage in limestone ashlar having Romanesque style
blank intersecting arcade, C19 saddle roof to match that of forebuilding
of castle (q.v. 6/1), shallow stair turrets to south-west and north-west,
small bullseye to right of south and east face from middle tower passage,
now across gable line of former steeper attached roofs, large semi-circular
headed opening partially obscured by roof of south transept. Chancel:
limestone pilaster strips to north and south and at angles, cornice of figure
corbels, south wall with 2 C12 semi-circular limestone arch heads with
indented decoration, both blocked, one behind pilaster strip; 2 C19 lancets
to south chancel, one C19 lancet to north; 3 C13 lancets to east with shafts
and figure stops, string course with indentations as south chancel blocked
openings. Interior: central tower with openings to nave, chancel and south
transept. Semi-circular headed Romanesque arch to nave having two orders
of zig-zag decoration with roll mouldings, traces of red pigment, 2 shafts
to each jamb, those to south with cushion capitals, those to north with
interlacing foliage to capitals, remnants of lettering painted on soffit;
arch to tower from nave with plain roll mouldings; altar recesses either
side to nave with renewed slabs, that to north under semi-circular headed
recess having detatched column at angle with nave and remnants of painting
to jamb, recess to south with pointed C13 arch having nail head moulding
and slender shafts with stiff-leaf capitals, that to left detatched, right
jamb of recess with squint to former chapel, now link of 1883 to south
transept. Arcade of 3 Romanesque arches with zig-zag mouldings above arch
to nave from tower passage. Early Transitional pointed arch to chancel,
two orders of zig-zag mouldings to tower, 2 plain roll moulded orders to
chancel, each rising from shaft with cushion capitals at angles of stepped
jambs; deeply moulded C13 arch, part renewed, to south transept from tower,
of 5 orders with slender shafts; arch to north obscured by organ, small
doorway to tower to left; vault to tower with ribs of zig-zag moulding
springing from shafts with cushion capitals at angles; arcade of 2 arches
to south broken by insertion of C13 arch, passageway within tower below vault
having single semi-circular headed openings from north, west and east and
double opening from south part blocked by C13 arch below, a taller opening
above is part blocked by gable of 1883 south transept. Chancel: Three C13
lancets to east each with 3 orders of nail head decoration above slender
shafts with stiff-leaf capitals, outer shafts renewed; C14 banner stave
locker to left with crocketted and cusped ogee head to niche; rest of chancel
in C13 style restored from ruinous state in C19: blank arcade to reredos
and east wall with black marble shafts and nail head mouldings as east
lancets, arcade to piscina and 3 step sedilia to south in plain C13 style,
piscina to north with nail head mouldings. 2-tier arch-braced roof. South
transept of 1883 in C13 style, the previous transept having long since been
lost, stiff-leaf capitals to west lancet. Nave: tall pitched roof of c1849;
pointed arch to south to former chapel, now link to transept; semi-circular
headed blocked archway to north; north doorway almost opposing that to south;
west wall with high central window having double splay, to left and right
but lower large blank openings with semi-circular heads and side shafts with
cushion capitals; above central window an oculus of c.1849 within a
semi-circular headed rear arch with side shafts and with dropped semi-circular
sill. Cll font at nave crossing probably from earlier church now within
ramparts of the castle (q.v. 6/1), square with plait rim and figure heads
at angles, west and south face decorated, that to south with 3 cats (St.
Felix, died 648, by one tradition is said to have started his mission to
East Anglia c630 at Babingley 1.5km to north).

Listing NGR: TF6663824866

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.