British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Trinity Hospital (Hospital of the Holy and Undivided Trinity) and Attached Enclosing Walls, Circa 30, Castle Rising

Description: Trinity Hospital (Hospital of the Holy and Undivided Trinity) and Attached Enclosing Walls, Circa 30

Grade: I
Date Listed: 19 October 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 222125

OS Grid Reference: TF6668624865
OS Grid Coordinates: 566686, 324865
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7956, 0.4708

Location: Nightmarsh Lane, Castle Rising, Norfolk PE31 6AF

Locality: Castle Rising
Local Authority: King's Lynn and West Norfolk Borough Council
County: Norfolk
Country: England
Postcode: PE31 6AF

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Castle Rising, Norfolk at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TF 62 SE
6/8 Trinity Hospital
19/10/51 (Hospital of the Holy
and Undivided Trinity)
& attached enclosing
walls, c30m east of
Church of St. Laurence,
q.v. 6/4

Almshouses, 1609-15, for Henry Howard, Earl of Northampton. English bond
brick with some carstone, plain tiles. Single storeyed quadrangle with
entrance to west; east and west ranges with gable parapets. All openings
of casements or fixed lights with leaded panes, original fittings and pintle
hinges. Symmetrical west facade of 9 bays: some carstone, Sandringham
sandstone and flint in plinth; central 3 bays of 2 storeys breaking forward,
string course partly in stone, gable to central bay; central doorway with
semi-circular headed stone arch with hollow chamfer; ledged, battened and
nailed door of c1609; 3-light window over doorway; flanking bays with moulded
brick cornice, pyramidal roof to front of range, stone quoins, 2-light window
to each floor; facade to left and right with dogstooth cornice, large internal
stacks with multi-lozenge shafts to facade between bays 2 and 3, 7 and 8,
three 2-light casements to either side of central 3 bays. External north
and south facades alike: 6 bays, 1st and 6th gabled, semi-circular headed
doorway (to passage to central courtyard) between 5th and 6th bays from west;
internal stacks as to west facade between bays 2 and 3, 5 and 6 from west,
eastern bay with 3-light casement, 5 2-light casements to rest of range.
External facade to east: forward projecting chapel to centre with carstone
plinth, oversailing cornice of tiles and dogstooth brick, stone dressed angle
buttresses, gable cross, 3-light east window in Perpendicular style with
super-transom to panel tracery, 2-light Perpendicular style windows to left
and right returns; 3-bay facade to left of chapel with large shaftless
internal stack between bays 2 and 3, two 2-light casements with chamfered
brick surrounds; facade to right of chapel has inserted glazed door between
chapel and very wide external stack to right, stack in English bond brick
and carstone with 2 lozenge shafts, 2-light casement within stack, 2 casements
to right. Quadrangle Interior: carstone and brick plinth, some carstone
in walls, dogstooth cornice, all windows as to external facades but with
chamfered brick surrounds; single storey symmetrical west facade has central
bay of 2 storeys with gable, semi-circular headed brick arch with 2-light
window above; at far right and left of facade a pair of boarded doors with
chamfered brick surrounds, two 2-light windows each to left and right between
doors and central arch. North and south facades alike: 2-light windows;
from west a window, pair of boarded doors as to west range, 3 windows,
semi-circular headed arch (to passage to exterior). East range: symmetrical
facade, central bay of 2 storeys with gable, central semi-circular headed
doorway in chamfered stone, above in terracotta a lion rampant facing sinister
(the Fitzalan arms reversed) two 2-light windows either side of central
doorway, to left a 4-light window, to right one of 3 lights. East range
is higher than other 3 as contains hall and chapel. East Range Interior:
hall to left ceiled, 9ΒΌ" (23.5cm) floor tiles, heraldic glass showing
achievement of Duke of Norfolk in 3-light window to courtyard; chapel restored
1936, single cell, oak panelling to sanctuary, turned balusters to rails
acorn finials to rails and panelled reredos, all of 1936, C17 table with
fluted frieze, four C17 benches to north and to south with poppyheads, ceiling
frieze of shields to north and south showing arms of Mercers' Company who
now govern the hospital and of members of Howard and Norfolk families.
Attached walls to Trinity Hospital: walls continuing the north and south
facades of the hospital to the west, attached perimeter wall to west, south,
east and north; brick with carstone and Sandringham sandstone, fragments
of limestone reused from castle (q.v. 6/1). Wall to east incorporating former
utility houses.

Listing NGR: TF6668624865

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.