If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Felbrigg Hall
Date Listed: 20 February 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 223255
OS Grid Reference: TG1927939414
OS Grid Coordinates: 619279, 339414
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9074, 1.2594
Explore more of the area around Felbrigg, Norfolk at Explore Britain.
FELBRIGG FELBRIGG PARK
TG 13 NE
5/17 Felbrigg Hall
Large house. Circa 1621-24 probably by Robert Lyminge for Thomas Windham.
Circa 1685 by William Samwell for William Windham. Circa 1750 by James Paine
for William Windham II. Rendered brick and flint with stone dressings, brick.
Slate and glazed black pantile roofs. Plan irregular but 1620's range was
one room deep with hall and cross-passage. 1680's range single pile of 3
cells. South front of 1620's in flint and English bond brick, rendered at
some date but some fallen. 7 bays, 2 storeys and attic. Rendered plinth.
Stone mullioned and transomed windows with leaded glazing, ovolo mouldings,
the centre mullions being heavier. Windows to ground floor have 2 transoms.
Bays 1 and 7 have canted 6-light windows. Bays 2, 3, 5 and 6 have 3-light
windows. Central square projecting bay, restored to west, with rusticated
archway. Flanking free-standing Doric columns on plinths with strapwork.
Strapwork to entablature which breaks out over the Doric columns. Above this
the arms of Thomas Windham and wife, and his father Sir John Wyndham and wife.
3-light mullioned window over. Above the ground floor windows is an
entablature with gattae, triglyphs and rosettes, and plain cornice. This
rises on porch to accommodate window over archway. Modillions to cornice over
upper windows. Brick, part rendered, parapet the projecting bays bearing the
words GLORIA DEO IN EXCELSIS in pierced stone; surmounted by heraldic beasts.
Small dormer behind porch; there were formerly three lights to the long
gallery, converted to bedrooms in C18. Shaped gables. 3 stacks to rear wall
each with 3 polygonal shafts and star tops, now enclosed by later building.
Canted bays to gable-ends, that to the east with C19 casement under hood-mould
to ground floor, C17 mullioned and transomed window to first floor with Gothick
glazing bars; C17 fenestration to western gable, the lower panels at an angle
on the ground floor are blank. 3 light attic dormers under hood moulds. West
facade of c1685 having 8 bays, 2 storeys and attic. Brick plinth. Sash
windows with glazing bars with moulded brick reveals and flat rubbed brick
arches. The openings to the first and second bays being blind. A drawing
in the Hall of c1675 shows, that cross-casements were intended, some of the
present sashes having thick glazing bars, some thinner, the casements were
presumably replaced and the sashes altered over time. Rusticated brick quoins.
The centre 2 bays break forward slightly, also with rusticated quoins. Doors
to the second and seventh bays with black lower panels, the upper parts
corresponding to the sash windows; both have a moulded brick eared architrave
with brick segmental pediment over cutting the platband. Windows to the second
and seventh bays of the first floor with moulded brick surrounds. Heavily
moulded timber eaves modillion cornice. Hipped roof with 6 attic sashes under
moulded timber pediments. 2 stacks to rear of this range with WW on tie-irons.
To the north gable a 2 storey canted bay was added c1750 copying the moulded
window surrounds and heavy cornice of 1685. Sash to each face of canted bay
on ground floor with sills at ground level; sashes to first floor with thicker
glazing bars. Moulded timber pediment to attic light in hipped roof behind.
In C18 a parallel range was added behind the C17 house, with a shaped gable
to the east and heavy timber cornice, making a double pile. A further, single
storey, addition was made to the north in 1823. A 2-storey outshut with
platband and brick dentil cornice was added to the rear of the west wing
containing a corridor for ground and first floors in C18. Interior.
Rib-vaulted porch to south front. Stone door surround reproducing the original
which was moved to the walled garden (item No. 5/14q.v.) in 1842. Double
leaved door, lower panels blank, upper with Gothick ogee glazing bars.
Original cross-passage now an entrance hall; screen now a solid wall. Opposite
the entrance door, a stone doorway, now blocked, with shields in the spandrels.
The Hall refurbished c1840 probably by J.C. and G. Buckler in Jacobean style.
Oak overdoors with strapwork and finials; stone chimneypiece with heavy
strapwork overmantle containing C17 Windhams arms. Drop finials to ceiling
plasterwork. Stained glass brought to house c1840 and used in this room
includes 5 panels of C15 glass from St. Peter Mancroft, Norwich; 2 C15 French
figures of angels; early C17 Swiss glass. Dining room formed by Paine when
Samwell's stair was removed. Plaster chimney piece with scrolled eared
architrave, lions' head and paws to entablature. Plasterers were Joseph Rose
the elder and George Green. Flanking over doors with acanthus moulding;
moulded eared architrave; doors with 6 raised and fielded panels, beaded
muntins. Principal doors with acorns and oak leaves to overdoors with ribbons;
consoles supporting egg and dart cornice. Panels containing Rococo plasterwork
threaded with chain. 8 sconces with plasterwork surrounds; garlands with
ribbons and fruit; ceiling cornice with egg and dart moulding and dentils.
4 seasons to corner panels of ceiling. Oval centre panel with spears, drums,
hunting horns; eagle with outspread wings, talons intended to hold chain of
chandelier. Drawing room. White marble fire surround with Roman Ionic Siena
marble columns and frieze. Door cases by Paine with overdoors having drapery
with fruit and ribbons; surrounds with egg and dart moulding. Cornice with
palmettes, doors, dado and shutters also by Paine. Plaster ceiling dated 1687
with WW in another panel. Plasterer probably Edward Goudge. Border to central
panel includes roses, pomegranates, pears, grapes etc; corner panels with
moulded figures of birds. Cabinet. 1685 remodelled in c1750, the 2 windows
to the west being blocked and a canted bay added to the north. Window shutters
have octagonal moulded panels; dado and door surround also by Paine. Chimney
piece of white marble with consoles, fluted fascia of 1824. Dentilled coved
cornice with garlands of flowers and Windham arms above chimney piece of c1750
again by Paine's plasterers Rose and Green. Main ceiling with panels having
fruit, flowers etc of c1685 by Goudge with added Rococo centrepiece.
Plasterwork continued into added bay in C17 style. Open-well staircase by
Paine of c1750; open string, moulded tread. S-shaped wrought iron balusters;
ramped mahogany hand-rail. Upper landing with moulded plaster panels; moulded
door surrounds; ceiling cornice with modillions; skylight of c1930. Library
by Paine in Gothick style. Clustered shafts to corners of bookcases rising
to a pinnacle. Trefoils to cornice. Geometrical 'Jacobean' ceiling removed
in 1923, small amount remains in window bays; the window in bay to the west
subsequently blocked in 1787 and the bay lined with bookcases by Matthew Bret-
tingham in similar style to Paine's. Marble bolection-moulded fireplace
brought to the library from Cabinet in 1752. Cellars include a medieval
undercroft of 6 bays with transverse 4-centred arch brick ribs and evidence
of a brick stair to house.
Felbrigg. The Story of a House. R.W. Ketton-Cremer. 1962.
Country Life. December 22nd 1934.
Felbrigg Hall. Gervase Jackson-Stops. National Trust.
Listing NGR: TG1931039400
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.