If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Carmel of Our Lady of Walsingham
Date Listed: 20 May 1983
English Heritage Building ID: 223387
OS Grid Reference: TG0007441594
OS Grid Coordinates: 600074, 341594
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9344, 0.9756
Explore more of the area around Langham, Norfolk at Explore Britain.
17/100 Langham Lodge
Shall be replaced by:-
17/100 Carmel of Our Lady of
House dated 1885, built for Lord Suffield, a promoter of the contemporary development of Cromer, in the domestic revival `Queen Anne' style. Extensions of 1986 include a chapel linked to the north elevation.
Red brick with tiled roofs.
Carmel of Our Lady of Walsingham has two storeys and an attic, with a long service wing to the east and single bay wing at the west.
Entrance front on the north elevation which has 8 bays, the projecting entrance porch has a date-stone and is elaborately moulded with ball finials, the main door beyond having a fan-light. There is a brick plinth and first floor plat-band to the 5 easterly bays. The ground floor has 4 sash windows, plate glass in the lower but the upper has glazing bars with six lights. The first floor has 5 windows, three to the east have casements arranged to follow the rise of the staircase. There are white painted wooden eaves to all elevations. There are four large dormers with three-light casements and plastered gables and a hipped roof, with prominent eaves and stacks. To the west, a single storey gabled wing has a tripartite sash window with glazing bars and niche above and a return verandah. The south elevation has moulded brick quoining and a central projecting bay with broken pediment flanked by two large dormers. The windows are mostly six-over-two light sashes. To the west, the single storey extension has a datestone with carved initials 'R C S' and the date 1885 over the tripartite sash. A French window on the ground floor to the west leads to the garden. The east wing is set back and plainer in treatment and appears to incorporate part of a former flint outbuilding and small tower with dentil cornice and three-light casements in recessed panels at the east end. Some fenestration in the east wing is of unequal size, but generally consists of six-over-two sash windows.
The east wing has simple mouldings and some contemporary four panelled doors on both the ground and first floors and is served by simple backstairs with stick balusters from the basement to the attic. The main house has a large entrance hall with a tripartite arcade and an open well staircase with turned balusters and newel posts with ball finials, lit by casement windows. There are shutter boxes in the dining room and billiard room, the latter having a panelled ceiling and a contemporary fireplace with swags. Other remaining fireplaces are plain as are the cornices. The roof truss comprises a ridge-piece with plank cladding over the main house and scissor bracing over the east wing.
The Lodge was constructed for Lord Suffield in 1885, by an unknown architect. In 1982, the Suffield estate sold the building to the Carmelite Priory of our Lady of Walsingham who, in 1986, constructed a chapel and single storey addition linked to the north elevation.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION
Carmel of Our Lady of Walsingham is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Although there has been some interior remodelling and additions to the north elevation, the building has architectural quality in composition, detailing and materials, particularly on the south elevation.
* Carmel of Our Lady of Walsingham is an early example of the Domestic Revival 'Queen Anne' style outside of London, contemporary with the last phase of Bedford Park and the development of Cromer with which Lord Suffield was associated and where the Queen Anne style was the chosen idiom for the new buildings of the fashionable resort.
Listing NGR: TG0005141595
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.