If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of Holy Trinity
Date Listed: 16 April 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 223662
OS Grid Reference: TG3910026012
OS Grid Coordinates: 639100, 326012
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7787, 1.5438
Explore more of the area around Ingham, Norfolk at Explore Britain.
TG 32 NE INGHAM MILL ROAD
2/27 Church of Holy Trinity
Parish church. Well documented building history. Chancel circa 1340-44,
founded by Sir Oliver de Ingham. 1360 Sir Miles de Stapleton (Sir Oliver's
son-in-law) founded Trinitarian Priory to north of church and rebuilt nave
and aisles (licence to rebuild church, Calender Patent Rells, 1358-61, 163,
435). 1456 tower commenced, 1533 battlements of tower completed (wills,
Norwich Record Office). South porch 1440. 1875-76 church restored by
J.P. Seddon and Ewan Christian : clerestory stage entirely of this period,
and south aisle remodelled. Minor restorations 1969, tower restored 1986.
Flint with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. 3 stage tower supported by
flushwork diagonal buttresses. Flushwork plinth course with ogee arcade.
3-light Perpendicular west window. Square traceried ventilation panels to
ringing chamber. 2-light belfry windows now without tracery. Double
crenellated flushwork parapet angle finials standing upon octagonal turrets.
3 light cusped reticulated aisle west windows. Square 3 storey south porch
with diagonal buttresses. Sunk quadrant moulded entrance arch leads to lower
porch chamber stone vaulted in 2 bay tierceron rib vault. Double wave moulded
inner south doorway. 2-light first floor window to porch of 1969. Blocked
2-light mullioned second floor window. Polygonal stair turret to north-east.
South aisle supported on stepped buttresses, angled to east. 3 3-light
flowing aisle windows by J.P. Seddon. 4 Flamboyant circular clerestory
windows to south and north also by Seddon. South aisle east window blocked.
3 3-light chancel south windows, restored but still mid C14. Centre window
early Perpendicular, of lozenge type. Others with tracery of 2 4-petalled
flowers. To west end of chancel under eaves a 2-light rectangular window
to south and north sides. Stepped side buttresses and Priests' door.
Buttresses diagonal to east. Fine 5-light flowing east window. One 3-light
C14 vesica window to north chancel. North side of church given up to priory
buildings, now ruinous and fragmentary. Walls and staircases rise and cross
each other. Parallel with north aisle remains of south walk of cloisters,
the arches blocked. Interior. 5 bay arcade consisting of lobed piers with
filleted rolls between lobes. Round moulded bases on polygonal plinths
balanced by round moulded abaci under polygonal capitals. Double wave moulded
arches. String course below clerestory windows. C19 King post nave roof
on false hammerbeams. King posts with arched braces to collars. Tall tower
arch on 2 orders engaged columns. Plain chancel arch, double hollow
chamfered. Octagonal Cl3 Purbeck marble font with 2 incised arches to each
facet of bowl. Stem and 8 orbiting marble columns 1876. Aisle roofs of plain
rafter type and C19. No north aisle windows but at east end a blocked
segmental doorway below a chamfered window arch, both originally opening into
Priory buildings. 4-centred wave moulded recess to east. At east end of
south aisle a blocked doorway. Central piers of stone chancel screen survive.
Late C15 chancel stalls heavily restored. C19 hammerbeam chancel roof. Vestry
entered through arched door in square surround. In spandrels encircled
quatrefoils. Immediately east of vestry door wall monument to Sir Oliver
de Ingham, died 1344. Stone. Originally a tomb chest with reclining effigy
beneath elaborate vaulted canopy. Of canopy only western piers remain and
fragment of vault. Plinth of tomb chest with row of encircled quatrefoils.
Above an arcade of 12 weepers each in cinquefoiled niches. On tomb chest
an effigy of Sir Oliver lying on bed of pebbles with crossed arms. 2 angels
hold helmet behind his head. To west are remains of buttressing of canopy,
elaborately fitted with subsidiary vaulted statuary niches. Cusped tracery
under nodding ogee arches with crockets and finials.
Vaulting springers of canopy remain, cusped. Nave south aisle altar tomb
to Sir Roger and Lady Margaret de Bois, died 1300 and 1315 respectively but
costume details are circa 1340. Rectangular tomb chest with alternating large
and small panels, the large with quatrefoils enclosing shields, the small
with figures under canopies. At west side scene of Resurrection of Christ.
Effigies of Sir Roger and Lady Margaret badly weathered and of rigid pose,
not cross legged. 2 indents of brasses survive, one to Sir Brian Stapleton
under canopy with some brass work remaining, the other to a Knight and his
wife, equally fragmentary. Brass inscription to Lady Elizabeth Calthorpe
died July 33 1536 (sic).
Listing NGR: TG3910026012
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.