If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Barningham Hall
Date Listed: 20 February 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 224079
OS Grid Reference: TG1471735376
OS Grid Coordinates: 614717, 335376
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8730, 1.1890
Explore more of the area around Matlask, Norfolk at Explore Britain.
TG 13 NW
3/60 Barningham Hall
Country house, dated 1612, for Sir Edward Paston, altered and enlarged 1805
by H. and J.A. Repton. Brick with stone dressings and castellated brick
cornice, plain tiles. Double depth, 5 bays, 2 storeys and 2 attic floors.
Crow stepped gables. Symmetrical principal facade to west: central bay
breaking forward and rising to 2 storeyed dormer with crow stepped gable.
Two storeyed crow stepped gable dormers with clasping polygonal buttresses
to bays 1,2,4 and 5. All windows in stone, pedimented, with mullions and
transoms, in stone surrounds; those to ground and first floors, bays 1,2,
4 and 5 having 5 lights, those to bays 1 and 5 being canted; that over
doorway of 4 lights, those to lower attic floor of 3 lights, those to upper
attic floor of 2 lights without transoms. Central doorway: semicircular
porch arch in stone with date 16 12 on spandrel shields; extended imposts;
pediment with strapwork decorated frieze supported by brackets; above in
stone are arms of Paston impaling Berney with motto "De meux en meux" under
pediment supported by columns. Clasping brick polygonal stepped buttresses,
the steps articulated by stone string courses, to angles of facade and
projecting central bay with moulded stone plinth caps and rising to onion
capped stone finial shafts. Similar finials to dormers and their clasping
polygonal buttresses. South Front: now symmetrical of 3 bays. Originally
2 bays, but extended to 3 by H. & J.A. Repton, 1805, who inserted canted
bay windows to bay 1 and central oriel window. Central ground floor
mullioned and transomed window of 4 lights reaching to the ground. Canted
bay mullioned and transomed windows of 4 lights to bays 1 and 3, ground and
first floor and 4-light central oriel window all beneath brick embattled
parapets. Clasping polygonal buttresses and finials as to west facade at
facade angles and flanking central bay. Crow stepped gabled dormer with
2-light window to central bay. Crow stepped gables of first and third bays
with finials and having a 3-light window to lower attic floor and a 2-light
window to upper attic floor, that to bay 3 being dummy. Stacks of 4 octagonal
brick shafts with oversailing star caps either side of central bay. East
Front: 3rd bay addition by Repton, 1805, to left; large central canted
flay under brick embattled parapet with 5 light mullioned and transomed window;
3 first floor windows, mullioned and transomed, that to centre of 3 lights,
those to bays 1 and 3 of 2 lights; crow stepped gable to one storeyed dormer
with 3-light window. Clasping polygonal shaft with finial to angle of third
bay. North facade to courtyard, double depth, gabled to right, varied
fenestration. Interior: much altered by Repton in 1805. Porch: stone vault
of 1805; 6 panelled door with upper 3 panels glazed under 4-centred arch.
Hall: door rear arch and arcading with Gothick ogees; heraldic fireplace
and panelling to north; fleur de lys coving; imperial staircase of 1805,
closed string with open ogee arches between square sectioned balusters, ground
newel posts with large C15 oak statues of Elizabeth of Hungary to right and
St. Anne to left, upper newel posts with smaller statues of apostles; some
C17 fragments of Flemish glass in stair window. Front room to south has
4-centred fireplace arch lined with C17 moulded terra cotta tiles; chimney
piece of stone with marble scroll work additions and central Italian marble
plaque in relief showing Belissarius. Repton room to rear with wide fluted
coving. C17 staircase to rear of bay 2. First floor: front room to bay
1 with C17 panelling and delicate strapwork plaster ceiling; 4-centred arch
to fireplace. 3 central bays to front formed one room, now subdivided,
with Gothick decorations of 1805.
Listing NGR: TG1470635383
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.