If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Michael
Date Listed: 4 October 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 224098
OS Grid Reference: TG1325434893
OS Grid Coordinates: 613254, 334893
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8692, 1.1670
Explore more of the area around Plumstead, Norfolk at Explore Britain.
In the entry for:
PLUMSTEAD CHURCH STREET
TG 13 SW
7/81 Church of St Michael
The grade shall be upgraded to grade 11* (Star) and the description shall
tie amended to read:
Parish church. C12; chancel of c.1300; C14 south aisle, demolished before
C19; C15 clerestory and west tower; restored 1873. C12 herringbone masonry
of iron conglomerate to north wall with original quoining at junction with
chancel and tower; rest of knapped and unknapped flint with clunch ashlar
dressings, partly rendered; gabled C19 plain tile roof with bands of fishscale
tiles. Plan of nave and chancel with west tower. Chancel has C19 (probably
1873) 3-light perpendicular-style east window and, to south side, a 2-light
window with trefoil heads and a similar one-light window of c.1300 flanked
by offset buttresses; c.1873 organ chamber and C19 buttresses to north side.
Nave has two 2-light geometrical-style windows and hood mould over chamfered
pointed-arched doorway to south and gabled north porch with cinquefoiled
lights and pointed arched doorway, all of c.1873. West tower of 3 stages
with angle buttresses having blank tracery to stone plinths; hood mould over
c.1873 west window; stair projection to north; 2-light cinquefoiled belfry
windows with perpendicular tracery; gargoyles to corners of flushwork parapet
with crocketed pinnacles. Interior: chancel has trefoil-headed piscina and
drop sedilia of c.1300 and remains of Easter Sepulchre with modern colouring
to fragmentary vaulting. C14 two-bay south arcade of 3 orders with hollow
chamfers set on octagonal piers with moulded capitals; C15 tower arch with
wave-moulded outer arch set on polygonal responds with embattled capitals.
Mid C19 and C15 corbels to mid C19 hammerbeam roof to chancel and waggon
roof with scissor braces and arch-braced principles to nave, all with C15
elements. Fittings: altar, reredos, litany desk and sanctuary provided as
memorial to Captain Whiteside, d.1916; pews, pulpit, lectern and west screen
of c.1873; C15 octagonal stone font. Memorial to Theophila Fleming, d.1743.
Royal Arms of George VI to north wall. Stained glass: C15 figures in east
window and C16-17 Flemish glass in south windows taken from Catton Hall,
Norwich, in 1952.
PLUMSTEAD CHURCH STREET
TG 13 SW
4.10.60 Church of St Michael
Parish church. Medieval, restored 1873. Flint and iron conglomerate. Roof of
plain tiles with bands of fishscale tiles. Tower, nave and chancel in one,
north porch of 1873. 3 stage west tower. Embattled parapet of flushwork with
crocketed finials and gargoyles at corners. Diagonal stone dressed
buttresses with Perpendicular blank arcading on plinths. C19 3-light west
window of intersecting tracing. 2-light bell openings. Stair turret to
north east just projecting. Iron conglomerate in nave quoins, at base of
south wall, in east gable to chancel and in herringbone fashion in north nave
wall. North wall windowless; organ projection to chancel. North door with
continuous roll moulding. South nave wall formed from 3 arches of former south
arcade blocked with knapped flint. Plain chamfered doorway to first arch, C19
2-light windows with geometric tracery to second and third arches. 2 C14
trefoil headed windows to chancel of two and one lights. C19 east window of
3 lights with panel tracery. Interior: C19 arch braced scissor braced roof to
nave. 3 bay blocked south arcade with octagonal piers and double hollow
chamfered arches. Blocked clerestorey windows. Tall C15 tower arch having
polygonal shafts with embattled capitals. Hammerbeam roof to chancel mostly
or totally renewed; angels at hammer ends. Sculptured stone corbels at
chancel entrance. Fragment of C15 ribbed vaulting from tomb or eastern
sepulchre in niche to north chancel wall. Trefoil headed piscina. Glass
fragments from Catton Hall: east window has C15 saints and donors including St.
Col.umba V.M.; south windows have C17/18 rondels. Plain octagonal font, Onion
top cover with curved splats, probably C18. George VI achievement.
Listing NGR: TG1325434893
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.