If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Catherine
Date Listed: 16 April 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 224408
OS Grid Reference: TG3881118266
OS Grid Coordinates: 638811, 318266
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7093, 1.5339
Explore more of the area around Ludham, Norfolk at Explore Britain.
LUDHAM NORWICH STREET
TG 31 NE
8/77 Church of St. Catherine
Parish church. C14 west tower and chancel. Nave and aisles C15, bequests
to new work date from 1466 when tower also altered. Restored 1861 and 1891.
Flint with ashlar dressings and some brickwork. Chancel roof of slate,
remainder of lead. 3 stage tower with diagonal west buttresses and side east
buttresses. Restored 2-light mouchette west window. Lancets to ringing
chamber and a pedimented clock face to north dated 1762. 2-light Y tracery
belfry windows, the tracery replaced with timber and louvred. Crenellated
parapet. North aisle west window of 3 cusped lancets. Aisle windows of 3
lights and Perpendicular, except that east of south porch which is of 4 lights
and transomed. Stepped side buttresses, diagonal at corners. 3 light
Perpendicular clerestory windows under 4-centred arches. 2 storey south porch
with diagonal buttresses. Arched doorway in square surround, the spandrels
carved. Buttresses rise to polygonal turrets. Gabled roof and plain parapet.
Over door are 2 cusped statuary niches with nodding ogees flanking central
2-light parvis window. Cinquefoiled side windows to parvis. Polygonal stair
turret to north-west with flushwork. Gabled north porch of coursed knapped
flint. Diagonal buttresses and 2-light depressed Perpendicular side lights.
Multiply wave moulded 4-centred entrance arch below ogeed statuary niche with
finial. Facade decorated with 2 tiers flushwork cinquefoil arcading. Chancel
supported by stepped side buttresses, diagonal to east. One C19 3-light
Perpendicular south window and a 2-light C14 window with tracery head
consisting of a single encircled quatrefoil. Arched Priest's door. 5-light
reticulated east window. 2 2-light C14 divergent mouchette north windows.
Chancel of knapped and coursed flint. Interior. 5 bay octagonal arcade on
high bases. Polygonal capitals below double hollow chamfered arches.
Clerestory windows over apexes of arches. Double hollow chamfered tower arch
on semi-circular responds with circular capitals. Polygonal chancel arch
responds with capitals carved with grotesques (north) and seaweed foliage
(south). Double chamfered arch. Hammerbeam nave roof probably of 1466, the
hammerbeams alternately on wall posts and all on arched braces. Polygonal
wall posts drop to corbels carved with angels bearing shields. Wall arches
to ashlaring. Spandrels of hammerbeams pierced above and below. Arched
braces to-ridge piece. One tier butt purlins. All timbers. moulded. Aisle
roofs have arched braces to central purlin, the outer wall posts on head
corbels. Chancel screen of 3 bays right and left of arched opening. Middle
rail inscribed : Pray for the soule of John (Salmon) and Cycyly his wyf that
gave forten pounde and for alle other benefactors made in the year of ower
Lord God MCCCCLXXXXIII (1493). Tracery head in form of crocketed ogees within
cusped arches. Dado has 2 painted panels each bay depicting from left to
right, Mary Magdalen, St. Stephen, St. Edmund (King of East Anglia), Henry
VI, St. Augustine, St. Ambrose, St. Gregory, St. Jerome, Edward the Confessor,
St. Walstan, St. Lawrence, St. Appolonia. The first four panels on the south
side by a different hand. Painting of such quality that these panels
represent an important example of C15 English art. Remainder of dado traceried
and gilded. On west side are free standing annulated buttresses. Painted
tympanum in chancel arch showing Crucifixion on west side, arms of Elizabeth
I on east. Octagonal C15 font. Against the stem Wild Men. Angels and
seaweed foliage under bowl. Bowl with panels carved with symbols of 4
Evangelists. Numerous C15 poppyhead bench ends. Rustic stalls in chancel.
C19 chancel roof : an undisciplined though not complex composition of arched
braces. Ogeed sedilia and piscina with crockets and finials. 8 brasses in
nave the best of which are : 1650 to R. Barker, 1633 heart brass to-Grace
Whitey and 1659 to Christopher White. All inscription brasses.
Listing NGR: TG3881118266
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.