If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of St Mary, Baconsthorpe

Description: Church of St Mary

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 4 October 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 224557

OS Grid Reference: TG1274136862
OS Grid Coordinates: 612741, 336862
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8871, 1.1607

Location: Church Lane, Baconsthorpe, Norfolk NR25 6LS

Locality: Baconsthorpe
Local Authority: North Norfolk District Council
County: Norfolk
Country: England
Postcode: NR25 6LS

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Baconsthorpe, Norfolk at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TG 13 NW BACONSTHORPE CHURCH LANE

7/4 Church of St Mary
4.10.60
II*


Medieval parish church, restored 1868, flint with stone dressings, lead roof.
West tower, nave, chancel, north and south aisles, north porch. Embattled
tower of uncoursed galletted knapped and whole flint to first stage, knapped
flint to 2nd and 3rd stage and parapet, tower clock of 1888 to north face,
weathervane of pair of horses, ploughman and tree; continuous moulding to
west doorway, 2-light west window, bell openings of 2 trefoil headed lights
under a quatrefoil. West and north walls of aisles part rendered with flint
chips, iron conglomerate in west wall. North and south aisles each with
3 windows under square heads of 3 cuspheaded lights and panel tracery, hollow
chamfered mullions; brick buttresses. Clerestorey to north and south of
large galletted knapped flints, 5 windows each side of 2 lights with
quatrefoils above, the 3 to the nave having arches of alternating knapped
flints and bricks. Flint chancel walls rendered with flint chips, some iron
conglomerate in east wall; mid C19 east window of 3 lights with panel
tracery; diagonal stepped buttress to south-east of large knapped flints
with stone dressings; priest's doorway and renewed 2-light geometric windows
to south chancel. 3-light east window of south aisle blocked. South doorway
with continuous deep roll moulding. C19 north porch, knapped flint, angle
buttresses, deep roll moulded arch having shafts and angel stops, 3 square
lights in stone to each return; C19 north doorway with continuous moulding,
elaborate angel stops to hood. Interior: 3 bay arcades to north and south
both having octagonal piers and double hollow chamfered arches, the inner
arches to south arcade rising from stone corbels at either end, a grotesque
to the west, a C19 head of Christ with vines to east; niche for stoup in
respond to west of north arcade. Arch braced roof to nave dated 1910, braces
rising alternately from wall posts on C15 stone angel corbels and from wooden
angel corbels, fretwork frieze of angels and dragons, principal rafters
moulded, painted heraldic bosses. Lower chancel of 2 bays continuous with
nave; jambless chancel arch rising from C19 angel corbels, single multi-hollow
chamfered arches to north and south aisles, C13 double piscina across angle
of window arris with arcade of slender Purbeck marble colonettes with double
quatrefoil above light; sedilia in dropped window rear arch; Easter sepulchre
to north with 4-centred arch to recess under crocketted ogee arch having
blank shields either side, blank arcade of 3 ogee arches below slab; arch
braced roof renewed; brass tablet to Joseph Clarke Rector, 1700, with stone
surround having cherubs below, Purbeck marble slab with indents for kneeling
husband and wife c.1540, both in north wall; several heraldic ledger slabs
in Tournai marble including Zurishaddai Lang of Baconsthorpe Hall (qv 7/2)
and Zurishaddai Girdlestone, Rector, 1767. South aisle: restored arch braced
roof with heraldic bosses; C15/Cl6 heraldic glass in windows from Baconsthorpe
Castle (qv 7/1) inserted 1958. during restoration after bomb damage of 1942;
canvas achievement of George III; large alabaster monument on east wall dated
1593 to Sir Wm. and Anne Heydon, kneeling figures in ¾ relief with some
pigment remaining, both under Renaissance arches with strapwork soffits and
both facing sinister, achievement above; several monumental brasses without
matrices affixed to east wall including Anne Heydon 1561 in heraldic mantle,
various inscriptions and arms of Dodge 1642 charged with breast distilling
milk. Tall jambless tower arch, screen to tower of C15 fretwork quatrefoils
and roses brought together 1924; octagonal font, 1866, on Maltese cross base
having floral and geometric designs to faces. C19 screen across north aisle
incorporating fragments of C15 screen.


Listing NGR: TG1274136862

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |