British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Margaret, Cley Next the Sea

Description: Church of St Margaret

Grade: I
Date Listed: 4 October 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 224570

OS Grid Reference: TG0485043130
OS Grid Coordinates: 604850, 343130
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9464, 1.0475

Location: Church Lane, Cley Next the Sea, Norfolk NR25 7TT

Locality: Cley Next the Sea
Local Authority: North Norfolk District Council
County: Norfolk
Country: England
Postcode: NR25 7TT

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Cley Next the Sea, Norfolk at Explore Britain.

Listing Text


9/18 Church of St. Margaret

Parish church, C14 and C15. Flint with stone dressings, grey corrugated
tiles. North-west tower, nave, north and south aisles, ruined north and
south transepts, chancel, north, south and west porches. South facade: eleven
C14 clerestorey windows of cusped 'Y' tracery alternating with larged cusped
cinquefoils, a single lancet at either end, large figure pinacles to gable
bases, large crosses to gable apices, that to west renewed. Mid C15 south
aisle with flush work parapet, 4 4-light windows having panel tracery and
octofoil at apex under pointed segmental heads, similar window to west, coped
angle buttress to south-west with trefoil headed niches, buttresses between
windows of facade. 2 storeyed south porch to 2nd bay, 2 bays deep, ashlared
golden limestone, vaulted upper niches to angle buttresses, plinth frieze
of alternate shields and roses; Perpendicular porch arch with continuous
order of shields and roses, the shields with arms of benefactors, 2nd order
arch with flower ornament to front and rear above polygonal shafts, blank
tracery in spandrels with shields showing enblems of Holy Trinity and the
Passion, benefactors arms outside including those of Anne of Bohemia, died
1394. 2 3-light openings under pointed segmental heads and having stepped
embattled transoms, figure heads to hood moulds; large vaulted niche between
having round shafts and canted traceried canopy; sundial above. Flamboyant
fretwork parapet above flush work frieze of quatrefoils; polygonal stair
turret to north-west with similar parapet. 2-light unglazed openings to
returns of 1st bay of porch having tracery as in aisle windows. Porch
Interior: floor rises towards doorway, stone benches, groined tierceron
vaulting with bosses springing from round attached columns. Ogee arch to
C14 doorway with lion head stops, inner trefoil headed order, each foil
cusped. Thick marble threshold with indents for brass shields and scrolls,
not a reused tomb. Roofless south transept: stepped angle buttresses of
stone dressed knapped flint having coped gables and niches. Square crocketted
pinacles at angles with gabled panels to sides; crocketted south gable having
broken cross at apex. 4-light opening to south with Geometric tracery of
2 large quatrefoils in circles below a lozenge with 4 cusped quatrefoils;
3-light openings to east and west walls, ogee headed lights to east,
reticulated to west. East window of aisle as transept east window. Blocked
east window to nave above string course of former chancel roof. Slate roof
to low chancel, priests door and 3 'Y' tracery windows to south wall, that
to east renewed; 5-light Perpendicular east window having panel tracery
under segmental head imposed on blocked earlier lancets. Stepped buttresses
at angles. North facade: one 'Y' tracery window to chancel; ruined north
transept having part walls, with no details, only. Clerestorey and north
aisle windows as south; parapet to clerestorey with elaborate panel and
quatrefoil flushwork. Small north porch with slate roof; pointed segmental
arch having continuous mouldings to 1st and 3rd orders, round shafts to 2nd.
Cusped 2-light unglazed openings under square heads to returns. North
doorway with continuous mouldings. 3 stage north-west tower with angle
buttresses and embattled parapet, small stair turret to north-east, lancets
to 1st stage, 2 blocked to west, narrow slit windows to west, one to north,
2-light cusped ogee headed bell openings, tracery lost to west. Large 6-light
Perpendicular west nave window, the panel tracery renewed, transomed lights.
West porch rebuilt 191l, coursed pebble flint, angle buttresses, embattled
parapet with crocketted finials at angles. C14 west doorway having deep
mouldings, outer order with large roses having angel head at apex, round
shafts, inner order with cusped cinquefoil head, crocketted hood mould
with crowned figure stops. C14 door with Decorated foliage to strap hinges;
part of Purbeck marble stoup.
Interior: Nave roof of c.1970, boarded, arched braced collars with fretwork
above alternate collars in Decorated style; C15 roofs to aisles having fret-
work spandrels to arch braces. C14 6 bay north and south arcades having
octagonal piers and moulded arches; large varied figure corbels within
spandrels to south showing traces of colour, panelled corbels to north
spandrels with vaulted crocketted canopies above. Figure and foliage central
stops to arch mouldings to aisles. Floor partly paved with C15 12" marble
slabs. Chancel arch with polygonal shafts, ovolo mouldings between hollow
chamfered mouldings. Wide cinquefoil headed piscina with hollow chamfered
arch, C17 altar with strapwork frieze, top renewed and enlarged; 6 stalls
of 1530s with misericords showing merchants mark (John Greneway) with JG
impaling the Grocers' company. Pulpit dated 1611 having two slender turned
columns to angles between panels having renaissance arches. 24 C15 benchends
with animals and grotesques, many poppy heads incorporating figures. C15
octagonal seven sacrament font. Fragments of stained glass in north chancel,
series of female saints in tracery panels in south aisle, c.1460. Slender
shafts to rear arch of west doorway. C15 west gable cross now in south aisle.
North of font achievement board of Charles 1, altered for Queen Anne.
Large monumental brass 1512 to John Symonds and wife Agnes in shrouds, and
separate named children; good group of 6 sons c.1460 - both south aisle;
various C16 brass inscriptions and figures.

Listing NGR: TG0485043130

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.