If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 5 September 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 226781
OS Grid Reference: TM4504693310
OS Grid Coordinates: 645046, 293310
Latitude/Longitude: 52.4826, 1.6075
Explore more of the area around Aldeby, Norfolk at Explore Britain.
ALDEBY ST. MARY'S ROAD
TM 49 SE
9/5 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Fabric of C12 origin with C13 and C14 addition and
remodelling. Flint, brick and limestone, with limestone dressings. Nave
and porch slated, transept plain tiled, lead roof to chancel. Nave, north
porch, crossing tower, north transept, chancel with south aisle. Nave west
gable with staged diagonal buttresses; fine C12 west door with three orders
of shafts with decorated volute capitals and an arch with orders of roll,
zigzag and scallop mouldings. Much red brick and limestone incorporated
in walling. Renewed 3-light window with intersecting tracery above doorway.
Gable parapet with stone kneelers and gable finial. Good C14 north porch
of knapped flint with base course of flushwork panels. 2-light east and west
windows. Diagonal buttresses to porch gable with flushwork panels; apex of
gable rebuilt or raised in brick. Archway with fleuron decoration to inner
order. Square drip mould with shields on traceried grounds in spandrels.
Niche with square drip mould above archway. Nave eaves line raised in red
brick. 2-light window with cusped Y-tracery and round-headed restored lancet
in north wall of nave. Square crossing tower on base of brickwork, the upper
section of knapped flint dressed with limestone. 2-light Y-tracery bell
openings much restored, with plain chamfered stone reveals. Double-stepped
embattled parapet with flushwork panels. Polygonal brick stair turret on
south side of tower. West wall of transept has two restored lancets with
faint traces of blocked doorway between. 3-light north window with cusped
intersecting 'Y' tracery. Two lancets in east wall. Chancel north side has
renewed 2-light Y tracery and 3-light Perpendicular windows. Restored east
window of three wide lights with intersecting tracery. Parapet of aisle east
wall rebuilt in brickwork; east window blocked in red brick with small window
with cusped head inset. Openings in south aisle much renewed; small priests
door with brick archway, two renewed 3-light intersecting tracery windows
with red brick buttresses between. South wall of nave has renewed 2 and 3
light windows with stilted hood moulds on head corbels. Interior: nave roof
has a plastered barrel-vault ceiling. West wall of nave with battered internal
offset at cill level of west window. C18 floor slabs to Elizabeth and Philip
Carpenter and to George and Mary Lee. Tall, narrow north and south tower
arches, with four plain chamfers, the outer three dying into a chamfered
reveal. The north jamb of the arch dated 1633. Semicircular arches with
wide chamfers to aisle and transept, the latter now blocked, and with a C20
door. Chancel roof C19 with arch braced principals and wallposts on corbels.
C14 piscina and stepped sedilia at south-east corner. C19 wall monuments
to Carpenter family on north and south walls. Two plain chamfered arched
openings to south aisle. South aisle roof now boarded over, but displaying
brattishing and carved heads on wall plate. Doorway to vestry in east wall
with pointed-arched head and double wave moulding to reveal. Squint arch
in south west tower pier. North transept roof plastered over, but revealing
moulded and brattished cornice and arch-braced principals with wall posts.
Two central trusses closely set. Archway to tower has arch of four chamfers,
the outer three dying into plain square imposts. East and west doorways
blocked, central pointed recess to east, semicircular headed to west. Floor
slabs in chancel, notably to Matthew Trott (d.1652), Matthew Trott (d.1659).
Font, octagonal on single octagonal riser: alternating roses and shields
around bowl, head corbels below bowl, stem with eight attached shafts with
moulded caps and bases.
Listing NGR: TM4505393309
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.