British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

The Old Hall, Caistor St Edmund

Description: The Old Hall

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 2 October 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 226891

OS Grid Reference: TG2329803807
OS Grid Coordinates: 623298, 303807
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5862, 1.2949

Location: Stoke Road, Caistor St Edmund, Norfolk NR14 8QN

Locality: Caistor St Edmund
Local Authority: South Norfolk District Council
County: Norfolk
Country: England
Postcode: NR14 8QN

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Caistor St Edmund, Norfolk at Explore Britain.

Listing Text


6/6 The Old Hall
2-10-51 (formerly listed as
Caistor Old Hall)

House, dated 1612, for Thomas Pettus, uncoursed broken flint with brick
dressings, black glazed pantiles, plain toes to south-east facade, gable
parapets. 3 bays, 2 storeys, attic and cellar to front; rear with central
stair turret and 2 storeyed wings to left and right. Principal facade to
south-east: 3 storeyed central porch with shaped gable and unglazed black
pantiles, ground floor with stone dressings, stone doorway with semicircular
stone arch having pediment with finials, shield with Pettus arms (fess between
3 annulets) and date 1612 to entablature, graffiti dates 1617 and 1638 to
left jamb, door part glazed in crown glass with glazing bars; first and second
floor of porch with brick dressings, C17 quoined brick openings infilled
with brick, that to first floor containing leaded cross casement under
segmental arch, that to second floor with double leaded casement with opening
to left return blocked with brick, opening to right return blocked with flint.
First and third bays with much brick, remains of brick capped plinth,
rendered moulded brick string course, brick dentil cornice. Ground floor
with large recessed sashes to ground, glazing bars, 4 x 4 panes, flat arches;
first floor first bay with sash with glazing bars under flat arch within
former opening; third bay with 3 light leaded casement under segmental head
in former opening. Left return with part external gable end stack. 2
openings to first and attic floors. Right return with large external stack
in brick with narrow crow steps to offsets, 2 small attic windows. Rear
wing to right (north-east) of 2 cells, 2 storeys and attic; crow stepped
gable to right, large cross stack to left with 5 linked lozenge shafts
renewed. Broken flint with brick eaves courses. Ground floor: doorway to
left of first cell of rendered moulded brick, 3-light leaded casement window
with transom (replica moulded wood frame) moulded brick surround to right;
second cell with moulded brick platband, 6-light leaded casement with moulded
mullions, transom and king mullion, C17 glass, hinges renewed. First floor:
first cell with 2 leaded cross windows with pintle hinges; second cell with
6-light opening as to ground floor but with original pintle hinges. Gabled
roof dormer to first cell with 3-light leaded casement. Right return with
crowstepped gable, part external stack with 2 octagonal shafts, 3-light leaded
casements with transoms and chamfered brick surrounds to ground and first
floor, 2 casement attic windows. Rear wing to left (south-west): forward
single bay to right in English bond red brick with dentil cornice, hipped
roof; ground floor with French window; first floor with recessed sash with
glazing bars, 4 x 4 panes, flat arch; wing to left of 3 bays, 2 storeys and
attic in two builds, dentil and saw tooth cornice; gable end internal stack
with 4 octagonal shafts; large stack with octagonal shaft between bays 2
and 3, external to earlier bay 3 and part enclosed by roof to later bays
1 and 2 with lower ridge line; irregular and varied fenestration including
5-light casement with transom to bay 1 and tripartite sash to bay 3 ground
floor. Left return with 2 blocked openings to first floor and attic.
Interior: front range with front and rear central doorways of late C18 with
basket headed fanlights with glazing bars, part glazed doors; large brick
fireplace to right with 4-centred moulded arch, with wooden surround and
console brackets; classical fireplace to left flanked. each side by fluted
Corinthian columns. Stair to central rear turret; large moulded frame with
jewel stopped chamfers to both ground and first floor of turret; C17 closed
string dog-leg staircase with massive turned balusters. Ground floor
of right rear wing: first cell with 4-centred moulded brick fireplace;
quarter circle moulding with stops to window rear arch; second cell with
shaped king mullion. First floor and attics of rear wings with timber
studding to partitions. Moulded doorways with jewel stops to attic floor
and to second floor of central porch.

Listing NGR: TG2329803807

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.