If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Keswick Old Hall
Date Listed: 2 October 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 226959
OS Grid Reference: TG2084704662
OS Grid Coordinates: 620847, 304662
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5949, 1.2593
Explore more of the area around Keswick and Intwood, Norfolk at Explore Britain.
TG 20 SW KESWICK LOW ROAD
6/75 Keswick Old Hall
House, c.1600, with C18 additions. Red brick, colourwashed red brick, gault
brick, plain tiles, blue glazed pantiles. Main range of 4 bays, 2 storeys,
basement and attic; forward 2nd bay wing to left of C18; stair turret to
rear with C18 single storeyed extension; varied extensions to north-east.
Principal facade to west: crowstepped left gable with internal stack, shaft
rebuilt. Off-centre axial stack to right with gault brick shaft. Basement
with doorway to bay 1, low openings to bays 3 and 4. Ground floor with
Venetian window to bay 1 having short bowed railings to centre light; flight
of stone steps with wreathed iron rail, doorway with C18 doorcase with
broken pediment, 2 columns with fluted necking, fanlight with glazing bars;
bays 3 and 4 with flush sashes with glazing bars. First floor with 4 flush
sashes with glazing bars; semi-circular headed roof dormer; right end and
right return in brick c.1970 when attached C18 ranges to right removed.
To left a link bay and forward wing, C18, red brick colourwashed white,
blue glazed pantiles, hipped roof, axial stack; wing two bays wide, 2 storeys
and basement; flush sashes with glazing bars, flat arches, wide eaves with
modillions. Right return of wing with similar sashes to ground floor,
blank openings to first floor; link bay with blank openings to basement,
similar sashes to ground and first floor. North return of wing: basement
with large basket arch for coach-house now garage; garage door to centre;
various sashes with cambered archs, semi-circular headed sash with glazing
bars to ground floor left. Rear of main range: C17 build with stair turret
to centre right, rendered with crowstepped gable, semi-circular headed light
with glazing bars to attic. To right of stair turret a windowless addition
with blue glazed pantiles and conical roof light having upper part only
glazed; 2 gabled roof dormers. Bays 1 and 2 of 2 storeys and basement,
flush sashes with glazing bars, that to first bay first floor with low bowed
railings. Stone steps with ramped iron rail to doorway in south return
of stair turret. Tall single-storeyed forward addition to stair turret
and bay 4 of late C18 said to be by Soane; gault brick, gabled roof of blue
glazed pantiles; semi-circular bowed window to front with copper roof, 5
sashes with glazing bars, 4 x 6 panes, articulated by columns as to doorway
of west facade; south return to left with 2 large sashes with glazing bars.
To right various flat roofed single storey additions in gault brick with
recessed sashes with glazing bars. Interior: stack to right inserted,
possibly as external stack to earlier house. Basement with 3 jewel-stopped
chamfered tie beams; extensive barrel vaulted cellars under north-west
ranges and beyond incorporating game larder with boards having hooks labelled
with painted days of the week. Ground floor: C18 classical fireplace
surround to former north gable. Painted C17 wood panelling to bay 3 and
first floor; large stack, probably formerly external to inside wall of bay
4, fire place to ground floor off-centre. Steep curved C18 cantilvered
stair to first floor only of stair turret; cast iron ballusters, said to
be by Soane. Passageway to north of stair turret between main range and
C18 rear extension with C18 doorways with panelled doors, fanlights with
glazing bars. Windows to rear extension with reeded surrounds. Stair to
attic not now in stair turret but to bay 2, closed string dogleg staircase
with turned balusters; some painted C17 panelling as to ground floor. Attic
with timber studded partitions; 2-tier roof with ashlar pieces, tenoned
butt purlins. Doorway c.1600 to south end bay by stack with ogee chamfer
stops; stack an external addition to partition wall.
Listing NGR: TG2084704662
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.