British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Peter, Ketteringham

Description: Church of St Peter

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 26 November 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 226964

OS Grid Reference: TG1638102561
OS Grid Coordinates: 616381, 302561
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5778, 1.1921

Location: Church Road, Ketteringham, Norfolk NR18 9RS

Locality: Ketteringham
Local Authority: South Norfolk District Council
County: Norfolk
Country: England
Postcode: NR18 9RS

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Ketteringham, Norfolk at Explore Britain.

Listing Text


5/80 Church of St. Peter


Parish church, Cll and later, restored 1837; flint and some erratics with
stone dressings, plain tiles. West tower, nave and chancel in one, north
porch. Unbuttressed tower with some iron conglomerate, lower quoins
undressed, some iron conglomerate dressings, upper quoins in stone. C19
2-light west window under 4-centred arch with ogee headed cusped light and
panel tracery; north and south faces with narrow triangular headed lancets
dressd in iron conglomerate; small tile dressed bulls eye to west, similarly
dressed clock of 1870 to north; recessed bell stage rebuilt 1870 with stone
dressings, 2-light C19 bell openings to each face with Decorated tracery.
C19 parapet of brick and stone chequerwork, square ashlar. turret to north-
west, standing angels to south-east and north-east angles, standing apostle
to south-west. West nave with lower angles undressed, middle angles with
some iron conglomerate and brick dressings, upper angles stone dressed;
north-west nave battered; vestigial stair turrets to north and south in
angles with tower. North porch: flint with small diagonal buttresses, north
facade rendered with niche over arch; arch renewed C19 with shafts to jambs,
wave moulding. Returns with small C19 2-light openings. Porch roof and
parapet of C19. Plain north doorway with medieval ledged and battened door;
stone in angle to right. Large C18 brick buttress to north facade, 1 lancet
to east, C19 renewed opening to right, 2 single C19 lancets to right
replacing C12 lancets. Vestry and entrance of 1845 to chancel, English
bond brick with crowstepped gable, double casement to east with pintle
hinges, lancet to north; entrance to right with door. Early C15 chancel
with stone dressings. 5-light east window of c.1412 with panel tracery,
blocked quatrefoil above. South facade from west to east: south doorway
with plain arch and replica door c.1980 similar to north door; C19 2-light
Perpendicular opening; blocked double splay C12 semi-circular headed opening;
C19 2-light opening with panel tracery; C12 double splay semi-circular headed
opening having below a recessed doorway with pointed arch now blocked;
chancel with flint plinth, single lancet having a rectangular blocked opening
below; double lancet. Interior: roof of 1908, symbolic and heraldic bosses,
ashlar pieces with frieze, arch braced from short hammerbeams with standing
angels, wall posts below rising from C19 stone corbels of heads with wings.
Large tie beam with fluted decoration at corbel level to west wall; C17
tie beam and wall posts at entrance to chancel, all with ΒΌ moulded chamfers
and lambs tongue stops, early C18 10-branch candelabra from tie beam, C19
rood above. Similar wall posts to chancel but with C18 wrought iron braces
and tie. West gallery inscribed 'ERECTED SEPTEMBER 26th 1841 BY SIR JOHN
P BOILEAU'; early C19 chamber organ with mahogany case to gallery. Font:
early C15, octagonal with evangelistic symbols, 2 flowers, defaced crucifix
and Holy Trinity to faces; deep fluted stem with fleurons; trailing vine
to bowl stem as to Church of St. Peter, Cringleford q.v. 2/16. Cruciform
step with shield to each arm. Fittings of 1837, pine pews with poppyhead
bench ends in oak; 3 decker pulpit and 8 pew doors in oak having ogee headed
arches of beading. C13 trefoil headed piscina with shafts having deeply
undercut capitals. Rererdos of late C16 Flemish painting on wood panel
of Marriage Feast at Cana. East window with early C15 glass to tracery
panels, fragments of C15 figure and heraldic glass to lights with some
Flemish rondels. North priest's door blocked, but exterior now in vestry
entrance with stone above embossed MH/1684. Royal achievement of George
III under tower. Many monuments, including in chancel: (1) (south) altar
tomb with quatrefoil frieze under 4-centred arch, early C16 brasses to wall
of Sir Thomas Heveningham, 1499, and wife Mary 15--, kneeling heraldic
figures with children, scrolls and shields, all gilded and some still with
pigment; (2) (floor) two Tournai marble ledger slabs to Heveningham family,
1633 and c.1700 heraldic; (3) (north) 1678, to Mary Heveningham and her
deceased husband (unnamed because a regicide), mural black marble in moulded
stone surround, flanking black marble Corinthian columns, on a ledge in
front kneeling figures of man facing a woman with daughter across faldstool,
a flying angel with swaddled child in white marble to inscription above;
(4) (south) elaborate mural in yellow and grey marble to Atkyns family.
1669-1711, grey marble sarcophagus to front to Edward Atkyns 1756; (5)
(north) Edward Atkins 1794 and son 1804 by R. Westmacott 1807, column with
willow branch, weeping lady over militaria; (6) (north) Harriet Peach, 1825,
by J. Flaxman, relief of 2 flying angels bearing lady; (7) (south) Mary
Atkins, 1829, by E. Gaffin, 2 putti below inscription, urn above; (8)
(north) Frances Mary Peach, 1833, by Willson; (9) (east) Nathaniel William
Peach, 1835, by E. Physick, relief urn and wreath.

Listing NGR: TG1638102561

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.