Description: Carnary Chapel
Date Listed: 26 February 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 228976
OS Grid Reference: TG2338208898
OS Grid Coordinates: 623382, 308898
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6318, 1.2995
There is also a scheduled monument, Old Charnel House, The Close, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
TG 2308 NW THE CLOSE
26.2.54. Carnary Chapel (formerly
listed as Chapel between
Nos. 69 and 70)
Chapel. Founded in 1316 by Bishop Salmon. Mason J. Ramsey, Stone with
plain-tile roof. 4 bays above 4-bay twin-aisled undercroft. Door to
undercroft at left-hand side with moulded 2-centre surround and 3 cusped
circular windows. 4 3-light proto-perpendicular windows with pointed
2-centre arched to chapel. Cusped niches with pointed arches and crocketed
finials on buttresses. Partly blocked east window with C19 intersecting
tracery. Polygonal angle-turrets in all but the north-west corner.
Scheduled as an Ancient Monument. See J. Harvey. The Perpendicular Style.
Listing NGR: TG2338208898
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.