Description: Church of the Holy Trinity
Date Listed: 8 April 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 229078
OS Grid Reference: TG2213908049
OS Grid Coordinates: 622139, 308049
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6247, 1.2806
TG 2208 SW ESSEX STREET
Church of the
Church. 1860-1 by W. Smith. Brick faced with flint, stone dressings.
Pantile roof. Nave, transept chapels, apsidal chancel and east tower.
The tower with set-back buttressing rises above the apse and has small
corner towers and polygonal top stage with spire. Early English 3-
light windows throughout with alternating red and yellow brick arches.
Red brick stringcourses at cill and arch-springing levels. 2-light west
windows to chapels. Buttressed west front with central doorway having
attached columns with capitals and bases and dripmould ending with ball-
flower motif. 4-light window above door with bolection moulding and
quatrefoil top lights. 4-bay blind arcading at cill level with tripar-
tite arches. Interior:- window openings in pointed arch recesses.
2-bay chapels with shaft corbels having capitals and crocketed base on
east sides. Polygonal centre columns. Attached polygonal shafts on
chancel arch. Apse arch with attached polygonal columns springing from
corbels. C20 balcony at west end. The church does not lie on a true
east/west axis but is orientated to the street pattern - approximately
Listing NGR: TG2213908049
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.