Description: The Old Barge
Date Listed: 26 February 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 229181
OS Grid Reference: TG2354908184
OS Grid Coordinates: 623549, 308184
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6254, 1.3015
TG 2308 SE KING STREET
26.2.54. Nos. 115 to 123 (odd)
(The Old Barge).
Former merchants' hall under restoration at the time of re-survey. C14
with C15 rebuilding and additions. Late C15 onwards alterations. Flint
rubble and brick ground floor and timber framed first floor. Pantile roof.
Originally orientated towards the river with south block at right-angles
to the street line. 2 storeys, jetty at first floor. 7 bays. The ground
floor facade is divided into 3 with C19 and C20 doors and windows. 7 late
C18 sash windows at first floor with 3 casement windows above those to the
right. Brick and flint rubble gables with moulded corbels. C14 door in
the south gable with moulded ogee arch surround. This is encased within an
early C16 surround with moulded jambs, shields and coved over-door.
Interior:- spine-wall with one complete and one blocked and partly destroyed
C14 service doors: blocked and partly destroyed doors relating to the C15
internal arrangement and an extremely large 4 centred brick arch. Arcaded
ground-floor rear wall. Impressive crown-post roof with one remaining finely
carved dragon spandrel. Early C16 fireplace with moulded stone jambs in
the south gable and to its left a blocked doorway with a stone 2-centre
arch. R. Smith and A. Carter, Function and Site: Aspects of Norwich Build-
ings before 1700, Vernacular Architecture, Vol. 14. 1983.
Listing NGR: TG2354908184
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.