Description: Carrow Works Blocks 7, 7a, 8a and 8 and Attached Metal Canopy
Date Listed: 8 April 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 229189
OS Grid Reference: TG2410907608
OS Grid Coordinates: 624109, 307608
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6200, 1.3094
The entry for the following building:-
TG 2407 NW KING STREET
31/428 Carrow Works
shall be amended to read:-
TG 2407 NW KING STREET
31/428 Blocks 7, 7A, 8A and 8
and attached metal canopy
- 8.4.86 II
Factory buildings, identified on Colman's Carrow works site plan by the numbers 7, 7A, 8A
and 8 (the latter referred to as 80 on some plans), and including a single storey, gable facing and
top lit structure in the narrow courtyard between blocks 8A and 8. The composite group was
built over the last quarter of the nineteenth century, with some alterations of intrinsic interest
early in the C20. Somerleyton brick in Flemish and mixed bonds; some walls as thick as 3',
though usually 14". Dressings in brick with some insets of white vitrified brick. Roofs of slate.
The four listed structures form an F-shaped plan, all of four storeys with dormers. Basements.
Most openings are segmental arched; brick pier construction, each range terminating at second-
or third-floor level in a round-arched recess, creating a blind-arcade effect. Although the
completion dates span some three decades, with the earliest works dating to c1870, the methods
of construction and materials were largely unchanged, lending the group a great degree of
coherence. The following description begins with the west elevation, or the long arm of the
F. West facing elevation of building 7 fourteen-window range. The west-facing gable end of
7A of four-window range, with some bricks of contrasting colour in decorative pattern to gable
and date stone to lower storey giving year of construction as 1881. Stone kneeler on the join
between the two blocks; that to north rebuilt in brick. Of note is a broad, round-arched
carriageway to building no 7 and a metal canopy, segmental in section, to the ground floor,
southmost window ranges of the same block. North elevation, to river, to buildings 7A and 8:
nine-window range marked off by stone kneeler breaking eaves; further six-window ranges to
building 8; outer ranges are blind; quayside elevation five storeys; nearly full-height lucarne to
fourth bay from the east comer. East-facing gable of building no 8 of three-window range.
Single-storey shed with stepped facing gable to metal and glass roof to the south; dated 1898.
South return to 8 obscured by the narrowness of site and the 1898 shed. Building 8A has three-
window range to gable end, east facing; nine-window range to the south, the westmost range
narrower than the rest and rising to a lift tower, the top of which with high brick parapet added
in c.1939. The projecting eaves found on all the other blocks have been replaced in building
8A by an Edwardian eaves cornice of cyma profile, an addition of intrinsic merit; segmental-
arched dormers to this and other blocks. Building 8A joined to building 7 by a recessed range
of vitrified brick to lower storeys. East return of building 7 has eight-window range. Ghost of
building noce abutting this range; this structure recently removed. South return of 7 of three-
window range with a pair of round-arched openings to ground floor. Interiors: Stairs with metal
railing intact; much of roof structure to each building intact, except for the roofs of 7A and 8,
here the wood has been partly replaced by metal. Most of the interior structure seen during
inspection was wooden; floor joists and boards also, largely of wood.
History: In 1870 the site consisted of the recently built rag store (block 7) and the smithy and
engineers shop (8 and 8A) built in 1956, just two years after production started on site. In 1881
no 7 rebuilt following a fire. By 1880 the tinmans shop had been built on the site of the
original paper mill, smithy and fibre house, buildings 7, 7A, 8 and 8A.
TG 2407 NW KING STREET
- Carrow Works.
Factory. 1818 on plaque and 1888. Red brick with white brick detail and
slate roofs. 2 blocks, parallel to the river of an F-plan complex. 4 storeys
plus attic. 9 bays. Simple doorway in right-hand bay. Ground to 2nd floor
windows in shallow recess having round-arch heads and keystone in white brick.
Sash windows throughout with glazing bars and white brick segmental arches.
Coved cornices 3-tier kneeler on right-hand gable. 3 single dormers at ridge
level and one double dormer to the let, Tower at left-end containing the
former reserve tank for the hydraulic system: at the foot of it a 4.6m tall
cylinder. Cast iron cruciform section columns supporting timber beams. 1881
block:- Fronting the river. River elevation:- 5 storeys. 14 bays. Door
in 3rd bay from right with semi-circular bay and fanlight, Timber-clad pro-
jection at left-side. Ground to 3rd floor windows in recessed panels with
round-arch heads. Sash windows with glazing bars and white brick segmental
arches throughout. Blind windows in end bays. 4 dormers. These 2 blocks
are connected at the west end by a block of 1870 which has a further block
of 1856 on its south-east side.
Listing NGR: TG2410907608
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.