Description: Church of St Giles
Date Listed: 26 February 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 229539
OS Grid Reference: TG2256508599
OS Grid Coordinates: 622565, 308599
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6295, 1.2873
TG 2208 NE (UPPER) ST. GILES STREET
26.2.54 CHURCH OF ST GILES
Parish Church. C15. 1866/67 chancel by Phipson. West tower, Nave and
Chancel. North and south aisles. South porch. Flint with stone and
brick dressings. Ashlar faced south wall of porch. Lead roofs. Early
C15 4-stage tower with set-back buttresses and clasping buttresses
on top stage. West door with flanking statue niches and 5-light
perpendicular window above within recess. Blocked 3-light ringing
chamber window. Tall 4-light belfry windows with perpendicular tracery
having cusped transoms. Crenellated flushwork parapet with small
corner turrets. 1737 beacon cupola. 5-bay nave with 3-light perpendicular
windows. 2-storey porch against west end bay of aisle. Outer doorway with
attached shafts and 2-centre arch. Central window above door with pointed
arch and smaller flanking lights. Shield frieze and decorated parapet.
Stone fan-vault inside. 5 clerestory windows. 3-bay chancel with north
aisle and C19 Decorated windows. Tower arch. Chancel arch flanked by
6 statue niches. The nave piers have 4 shafts with smaller mouldings
between. False hammer-beam roof:- 4 arched braces form a pointed-arch
profile with carved angels cutting through the braces at wall-plate level.
Arched braces from the wall-posts frame the clerestory window arches.
Large number of wall monuments including those to Thomas Churchman 1742
by Sir Henry Cheere, Sir Samuel Churchman 1781 and Philip Stannard 1747
by Thomas Rawlins.
Listing NGR: TG2256508599
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.