Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 26 February 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 229586
OS Grid Reference: TG2282509131
OS Grid Coordinates: 622825, 309131
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6342, 1.2915
TG 2309 SE ST. MARY'S PLAIN
26.2.54 CHURCH OF ST MARY
Former parish church, now redundant.
Early C11 and C15. Flint with stone dressing. Lead roofs. West tower,
nave and chancel. North and south transepts. South porch. Round tower
with 2-light windows having central shaft and remade twin triangular
arches. 4-bay nave with two 3-light perpendicular windows with
2 centre arches on the south side. 2 storey south porch with re-faced
diagonal buttresses. Badly weathered outer doorway with moulded
2-centre arch and spandrels. Central statue niche above door between
2 square-headed windows having cusped ogee tracery. Blocked 2-light
east window. Single-bay transepts with tall 4-light perpendicular
windows north and south. 3-light east windows with staggered brattished
transoms. 3-light perpendicular east chancel window inside a higher
arch with earlier jambs to arch-springing level. Blocked 2-light
decorated window in north wall of chancel. Rood stairs in north-east
corner of transept and chancel. Chancel arch supported on corbels.
Arch-braced roof with ridge-piece and curved wall-bracing in transepts.
Diagonal ribs over crossing with central carved boss and angels.
Butt-purlins in transepts and small first bay of nave roof. Chancel
roof arch-braced and with curved wall bracing. Panelled with
richly cusped quatrefoil and heraldry.
Listing NGR: TG2282509131
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.