Description: Norfolk and Norwich Hospital X-Ray and Radiotherapy Departments and Former Out-Patients' Accommodati
Date Listed: 5 June 1972
English Heritage Building ID: 229593
OS Grid Reference: TG2266207878
OS Grid Coordinates: 622662, 307878
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6230, 1.2882
TG 2208 NE ST. STEPHEN'S ROAD
5.6.72 Norfolk & Norwich Hospital.
X-ray and Radiotherapy Departments
and former out-patients'
Hospital. 1771 on keystone over door, by William Ivory.
Red brick; hipped pantile roof. L-plan. 2 storeys: 13 first-floor windows
on facade at right-angles to street. Projecting centre bay with rusticated brick
quoins has C20 glass door and flat porch in front of plain fanlight in recessed
round-headed gauged brick arch. Similar arched to flanking windows. Plain
brick string course and higher stone band to centre bays. Windows have sashes
with glazing bars under flat gauged brick arches with 3 round-headed first-floor
windows below central pediment with occulus. Brick cornice. Left end of the
ground floor is concealed behind irregular C20 flat-roofed extensions. 2-storey
canted bay to right side elevation facing the street. Adjoining range of 2 storeys
and semi-basement has 7 first-floor windows, 3 of which are in projecting
pedimented bay with rusticated quoins, stone string course and occulus. Sash
windows have glazing bars under flat gauged brick arches with keystones. Stone
eaves cornice. A stone tablet with bronze bust records foundation of the Hospital
in 1771 by William Fellowes and the reconstruction and enlargement of the out-
patient department in 1927 as a first World War Memorial.
Listing NGR: TG2266207878
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.