Description: Lazar House
Date Listed: 26 February 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 229611
OS Grid Reference: TG2356510413
OS Grid Coordinates: 623565, 310413
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6454, 1.3033
TG 21 SW SPROWSTON ROAD
26.2.54 No. 219 (Lazar House)
Former Leper Hospital (Magdalen Chapel) C12. Later an almshouse until C17.
Restored 1906 by Sir Eustace Gurney and subsequently a Branch Library.
Now a day centre for people with learning disabilities.
Flint rubble with stone and some brick dressings; pantiled roof. Now L-plan. 2 storeys
(mostly open to roof); 6-window range at right-angles to street. Norman
doorway in gable end has attached shafts with cushion capitals and roll-
moulded voussoirs. Round-headed window (renewed) above with 2 small blind
slits and 2 oculi with brick dressings at the head of the gable. Right-side
elevation has a damaged Norman door and another blocked door with 4-centred
brick arch. Red brick reconstruction with 2 and 3-light mullioned and
transomed windows, together with a single-storey wing at right angles and
its projecting porch presumably date from the early C20 restoration.
Interior: mediaeval window splays and dressings include 2 round headed
arches with earstone dressings in the west gable. Most roof-timbers
replaced. Founded before 1119 by Herbert de Losigna, the nave was used as the
hospital and the chancel served as a chapel for the inmates.
Listing NGR: TG2356510413
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.