British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Drayton House, Lowick

Description: Drayton House

Grade: I
Date Listed: 23 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 232497

OS Grid Reference: SP9629980019
OS Grid Coordinates: 496299, 280019
Latitude/Longitude: 52.4097, -0.5857

Location: Lowick, Northamptonshire NN14 3BB

Locality: Lowick
Local Authority: East Northamptonshire District Council
County: Northamptonshire
Country: England
Postcode: NN14 3BB

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Lowick, Northamptonshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text


6/63, 12/63 Drayton House



Country house. Late C13, early C14, mid/late C15, late C16, mid/late C17, early
and late C18, late C19 and early C20. Works recorded by Isaac Rowe, John Webb,
William Talman, Gerard Lanscroon, William Rhodes, Alexander Roos, George Devey
and J.A. Gotch. Squared coursed limestone and limestone ashlar with lead and
Colleyweston slate roofs. Courtyard plan with additions. 2 and 3 storeys, parts
with attics, and two 3-storey towers. South front, or entrance front, of 5 bays
with square buttressed turrets, between bays. Centre bay breaks forward forming
late C17 gatehouse probably by Isaac Rowe. Central arch-head doorway has
rusticated surround and rectangular panel above. 2 bays flanking gatehouse are
early C14 curtain walls. Second bay to right has one-window range to far right
of stone mullion windows. Wall, gatehouse and turrets all have castellated
parapets. Bays attached to far left and right are late Cl6, each of one-window
range of 4-light stone mullion windows with transoms. Left bay has castellated
parapet and right bay has gable. Shallow gabled lead roof of centre bays is not
visible. East front to right of south front of 11 irregular bays with buttresses
between centre and left bays and lateral stacks between bays to right. 4 bays to
left are late C16 remodelled C18. 2 storeys, with a 7-window range of
irregularly spaced sash windows, at first floor. All with glazing bars and
moulded stone architraves; 2 windows to far left are blind. Stone mullion
windows at ground floor. Adjacent 2 bays are probably C15 remodelled C18, 3
storeys with a 4-window range similar to the previous 4 bays. C16 centre tower
of 3 storeys. 4 corner turrets, castellated parapet and early C18 cupola at
north-west corner. Remaining 4 bays to right form north-east wing c.1584,
probably by Thomas Thorpe. 3 storeys; 5-window range of stone mullion windows
and large casement windows to second floor library. Bay to far right breaks
forward with a small gablet over. Castellated parapet throughout range. Early
C18 doorcase to right of centre tower is by Talman. Rusticated surround with
keyblock, pulvinated frieze, segmental pediment and heraldic devices of the
Duchess of Norfolk and Sir John Germain. Attached flight of steps with
wrought-iron handrail, probably by J. Tijou. North front to right of east front,
mid.C15, extended late Cl6 and remodelled C18. 9 bays including towers to far
left and right. Centre range is 2 storeys; 3 bays of 3- and 4-light stone
mullion windows with transoms. Central moulded stone doorcase by Talman. 2 bays
to left and right are 3 storeys; 3-window range of sash windows similar to those
on the east front. Castellated parapets throughout. Polygonal centre turret
originally formed part of C15 porch to screens passage. Flanking tower to left
is also centre tower of east front has has north-east wing breaking forward at
right angles. Flanking tower to right is similar, rebuilt early C18 by Talman,
with a blank elevation to the north front. Gable end of north-east wing has
second-floor early C20 arch-head window by J.A. Gotch. Return wall of this wing
is of 3 storeys; 6 irregular bays, with centre and left hand bays breaking
forward. 2-, 3- and 4-light stone mullion windows with transoms. West front to
right of north front of 7-window range with 5 tall sash windows and 2- and
3-light stone mullion windows. North-west tower, to right, has one cross
casement to each floor. 3-window range, attached at right angles to right, of
cross casements under gauged stone heads. North elevation of courtyard to rear
of gatehouse of 5 bays. Gatehouse breaks forward to centre, similar to south
front. Flanking 3-window ranges of tall casements with glazing bars at ground
floor with square windows above; all with segmental heads and ashlar surrounds.
South elevation of courtyard, to Great Hall and Dining room, was remodelled by
Talman, and executed by Benjamin Jackson. c.1702. 7 bays. Central square-head
doorway with French doors has moulded stone architraves, flanking ribbed
Corinthian columns support cornice with entablature breaking forward above
columns. Moulded keystone with flanking drapes. Trophy, of military devices,
with recumbent lions, above cornice. Flanking 3-window ranges of tall sash
windows, with glazing bars, moulded and eared architraves and low cills. Windows
immediately to left and right of doorway have keyblocks and scroll pediments.
Windows to centre of each range have triangular pediments and those to far left
and right have segmental peidments; all have stepped keyblocks. Rectangular
fielded panels above each window have central brackets with busts. Moulded
cornice with fielded panelled parapet above. Gadrooned urns mounted on parapet
between bays. Parapet of centre bay rises to form triangular pediment supported
on pilasters with caryatids, central heraldic device representing Sir John
Germain and the Duchess of Norfolk. Medieval gabled roof of hall is not visible.
Central flight of steps has wrought iron handrail, probably by J. Tijou.
Elevations of courtyard to left and right were also remodelled by Talman. 7-bay
open loggias with Doric columns. Plain ashlar parapets above with urns mounted
between bays. Central armorial devices. Rear walls of loggias have plain
pilasters between bays, fielded panelling and arch-head niches flanking central
doorways. C16 first floor, 4-window ranges, behind loggias of 3- and 4-light
stone mullion windows with transoms. 3-storey, 2-window, ranges flanking south
elevation, above loggias, are late C14 remodelled C18 with sash windows.
Castellated parapets and polygonal turrets at corners. Interior: undercroft
entered from north corner of east loggia is double aisled, with 4 bays of
chamfered rib vaults, octagonal piers and polygonal responds. Originally late
C13 solar undercroft. Great Hall to left of undercroft is medieval structure
remodelled early C18 by Talman and decorated by Alexander Roos c.1850 to
simulate marble. Ribbed Ionic pilasters, moulded cornice and coved ceiling.
Marble fireplace. Dining room to left of Great Hall was originally medieval
buttery and pantry. Remodelled c.1771/74 by William Rhodes possibly to design by
William Chambers. Plasterwork wall panels, coved cornice with interlaced vine
leaves and similar decoration to ceiling. Mid C19 centrepiece. Marble fireplace
with ribbed columns. Range of 3 rooms facing north front were probably added
late C16. The oak staircase to left of this range is probably late C16, rising
around on square well. The stone staircase to the right of this range is early
C18 by Talman, rising around a square well with a wrought-iron handrail,
probably by J. Tijou. Walls painted c.1712 by G. Lanscroon in Baroque style. The
walnut stair in the north-east tower is late C17 with cantilevered oak treads,
rising around a circular well, with a turned walnut balustrade. The Green
Drawing Room in the north-east wing remodelled c.1773 by W. Rhodes has ceiling
with hexagonal coffering and moulded wood doorcases. Marble fireplace. The Blue
Drawing Room, adjacent, has a bolection moulded fireplace with overmantle by
John Webb. The State Bedroom, adjacent, was remodelled c.1653 by J. Webb.
Bolection moulded fireplace has overmantle with scroll pediment and swags. Above
this room is a priest's hole. Lacquer closet off State Bedroom has panels of
Chinese Coromandel screen let into wall. The chapel to the south-east of the
courtyard is said to have remains ofa C18 interior. The Kings Dining Room, at
first floor, was originally the medieval solar, remodelled late C17 with fielded
pine panelling grained to represent chestnut. Ceiling with central wreath
probably by Edward Goudge. Bolection moulded fireplace. Some first floor rooms
of north-east wing have marble fireplaces and one first-floor room in the
south-east wing is said to have C17 panelling. The library, originally the long
gallery occupies the second floor of the north-east wing. Panelled walls and
sloping ceilings with fitted bookcases, restored early C20. This wing has a
vaulted cellar. The principal owners of Drayton responsible for building works
were Sir Simon de Drayton who was licensed to crenellate in 1328; Sir Henry
Greene, mid/late C15 ranges flanking the Great Hall range which included the
Solar; The third Lord Mordaunt, late C16 work including the towers and
north-east wing; the second Earl of Peterborough, mid/late C17 work including
the gatehouse; the Duchess of Norfolk and Sir John Germain, early C18 work by
Talman; Lord George Germain, late C18 internal remodelling; Stopford- Sackville
family, C19 and early C20 work.
(Gardens included in HBMCE Register of Parks and Gardens at grade I.
Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.189; V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, Vol.3,
p.231; Jackson-Stops, G, Drayton House, 1978; Cornforth, J, Country Life, 13th
May 1965, p.1146-1150, 20th May 1965, p.1216-1229, 27th May 1965, p.1286-1289,
3rd June 1965, p.1346-1350).

Listing NGR: SP9629980019

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.