British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Peter, Lowick

Description: Church of St Peter

Grade: I
Date Listed: 23 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 232540

OS Grid Reference: SP9776381006
OS Grid Coordinates: 497763, 281006
Latitude/Longitude: 52.4183, -0.5639

Location: Main Road, Lowick, Northamptonshire NN14 3BH

Locality: Lowick
Local Authority: East Northamptonshire District Council
County: Northamptonshire
Country: England
Postcode: NN14 3BH

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Lowick, Northamptonshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

(East side)

3/106, 13/106 Church of St. Peter



Church. Early C14 origins, mainly late C14 and C15 for Greene family of Drayton
House. Restored 1869 and 1887. Squared coursed limestone with ashlar tower and
lead roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, north chapel, south transept and porch and
west tower. South elevation of chancel of 2-window range of 4-light
Perpendicular windows with 4-centred arch heads, transoms and panel tracery.
Priest door below right window. 2-stage buttresses between windows. Shallow
gabled roof with plain parapet and pinnacle at corner. East windows of chancel
and north chapel are identical 5-light Perpendicular windows similar to those of
south elevation. Shallow gabled parapets, above each window, with finials. North
elevation of north chapel of 2-window range of 3-light Perpendicular windows
similar to those of south elevation of chancel but each reduced by one light by
the centre panel of wall. 2- and 3-stage buttresses between windows and at
corners. Shallow castellated parapet, with pinnacles at corners. South transept
has 6-light Perpendicular south window with hollow reveals, segmental-arch head
and castellated transoms. Similar 4-light west window and 4-light east window
with central king mullion, transom and 4-petal flower tracery above each pair of
lights. Shallow gabled roof and plain parapet with finial and pinnacles at
corners. 2-bay south aisle with 2-light Perpendicular window, to right, with
hollow reveals and 4-centred arch head. Similar 2-light west window. Lean-to
roof with plain ashlar parapet. Shallow gabled porch in bay to left has finial
and pinnacles. Roll-moulded outer doorway and early C14 moulded inner doorway
with remains of Angel label stops. North aisle of 5 bays, 4-window range of
4-light Perpendicular windows with 4-centred arch heads, castellated transoms
and tracery with mouchettes. North doorway in bay to far right has 2-centred
arch head. Similar west window. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapets and
pinnacle at corner. The north chapel breaks forward and is attached to the east
end of the north aisle. Nave clerestory of 4-window range of 3-light
Perpendicular windows with 4-centred arch heads. Shallow gabled roof with plain
ashlar parapets and finial. Fine late C15 west tower of 4 stages has set-back,
3-stage, angle buttresses to lower 3 stages. Upper stage has panelled pilasters
at corners. Quatrefoil frieze around base plinth, similar frieze with diagonals
between second and third stage. West door with 2-centred arch head and square
surround with quatrefoils in the spandrels, 3-light west window, above, has
hollow reveals and 2-centred arch head. Small square-head 2-light windows to
south and west faces of third stage. 2-light bell-chamber openings to each face
of upper stage have ogee-head hood moulds. Quatrefoil frieze above and
castellated ashlar parapets with central gargoyles. Large panelled and crocketed
pinnacles at corners linked by flying buttresses to octagonal lantern. Cardinal
faces of lantern have 3-light Perpendicular windows with 4-centred arch heads,
transoms and intersecting tracery. Plain pilasters at each corner of lantern
terminate as crocketed pinnacles. Castellated ashlar parapets. Central
wrought-iron finial with compass points and weathervanes on all pinnacles.
Sundial on south face of tower. 2 inscribed tablets attached to south aisle and
porch, have bolection moulded pilasters. Interior: 4-bay nave arcade of
double-chamfered arches with octagonal piers. Double-chamfered arches with
octagonal responds to chancel and between north chapel, chancel and north aisle.
Tall triple-chamfered tower arch with semi-circular responds. Perpendicular roof
structure to north aisle has moulded cross beams and bosses; other roofs are
mainly C19. Early C14 piscina and double sedilia to right of altar have
crocketed gables with pinnacle between. Shallow tomb recess with cusping in
north aisle. Perpendicular style stone screen across south transept. C15 bench
ends in south aisle have fleur-de-lys and carved head poppy heads. Octagonal
font. Monuments: Sir Rolf Greene died 1417 by Thomas Prentys and Robert Sutton,
cost 40 pounds; pair of alabaster effigies on chest tomb in north chapel, with
angels under canopies around the sides. Vaulted canopy above the head of each
figure, base of shafts to support canopy over whole. Henry Green died 1467 and
wife: chest tomb with panels and shields, in south transept with 2 brass
effigies on lid. Edward Stafford, second Earl of Wiltshire, died 1499, alabaster
effigy on chest tomb with lozenge panels inside cusped squared panels in south
transept. William, infant son of first Earl of Peterborough, died 1625, plain
tablet with detached columns supporting an entablature with a semi-circular
device above, set between early C14 pinnacles, one with gable between, in north
chapel. Roger Lane died 1690 and John Halford died 1690, inscribed tablets in
chancel floor. Lady Mary Mordaunt, Duchess of Norfolk died 1705. Semi-reclining
white marble figure on chest tomb with bolection-moulded pilasters. Sir John
Germain died 1718, semi-reclining marble figure in armour, on chest tomb with 3
smaller semi-reclining figures. Lady Elizabeth Germain died 1760, inscribed
brass tablet. Last 3 monuments in north chapel. Charles Sackville, fifth Duke of
Dorset died 1843, white marble chest-tomb by Westmacott Junior has draped
mantle, shield and coronet with lifesize angel seated alongside. C19 tablets to
Sackville family of Drayton House. Stained glass: north aisle windows have
panels of reset glass c.1330-40 depicting 16 figures originally from a Jesse
window, with the exception of a kneeling figure. Centre bands of south chancel
windows also have medieval glass. 6 windows with C19 stained glass in north and
south aisles and chancel. 2 hatchments in south transepts and painted Royal arms
above chancel arch.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.297; V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, Vol.3,

Listing NGR: SP9776381006

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.