British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Peter, Lutton

Description: Church of St Peter

Grade: I
Date Listed: 23 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 232653

OS Grid Reference: TL1121087789
OS Grid Coordinates: 511210, 287789
Latitude/Longitude: 52.4767, -0.3640

Locality: Lutton
Local Authority: East Northamptonshire District Council
County: Northamptonshire
Country: England
Postcode: PE8 5ND

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Lutton, Northamptonshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TL18NW (East side)
10/98 Church of St. Peter

Church. C12 origins, mainly C13 to C15, restored C19. Regular coursed and
squared coursed limestone with ashlar dressings and lead roof. Aisled nave,
chancel, south porch and west tower. South elevation of chancel of 2 bays. Left
bay has 2 windows with a 4-light window to left, with trefoil and quatrefoil
circles and spherical triangle above. Small, blocked, lowside windows below left
hand light. Lancet window to right. Right hand bay has blocked square-head
window with hood mould and remains of carved label stops. Triangle of ashlar
masonry above window head. C19 two-stage buttress between bays. Shallow gabled
roof with ashlar gable parapet and finial. 3-light east window of 1883 has plate
tracery. Shallow, single-stage, buttresses at corners. North elevation of
chancel of 4 bays. C19 lancet, in bay to right, has medieval low-side lancet
below. C19 lateral stack, to right of centre bay, and C19 two-stage buttresses
between bays. South aisle of 3 bays. 3-light window in right hand bay, probably
reset, has truncated head. Left bay is blank. Single-stage clasping buttresses
at corners. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapet. 2-light square-head east window
and 2-light west window with 4-centred arch head. Central porch has double
chamfered outer arch with one order of shafts, hood mould and carved label
stops. C15 inner door has 4-centred arch head and roll mouldings. Shallow gabled
roof with ashlar gable parapet. North aisle of 3 bays; 2-window range. 2-light
windows to left and right. Left hand window has ogee-head lights, segmental head
and raised ashlar surround with square head. Right hand window has 4-centred
arch head. North door, in centre bay, has 4-centred arch tread. 2-stage gabled
buttresses between bays and at left hand corner. 2-stage clasping buttresses to
right hand corner. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapet. 2-light square-head east
window and single lancet west window. Nave clerestory of 3-window range of
2-light windows under 4-centred arch heads. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar
parapets. Perpendicular west tower of 3 stages with plinth. 6-stage ashlar
pilasters at corners. Lower stage of west face is ashlar. West door has
4-centred arch head with moulded stone surround. 2-light west window, above, has
hollow reveals and 4-centred arch head. Slit window to each face of second
stage. 4-light bell-chamber openings to each face of upper stage, have transoms,
hollow reveals and 4-centred arch heads. Castellated ashlar parapets with
gargoyles at corners. Interior: 3-bay nave arcade of double chamfered arches.
Mid C13 north arcade with circular piers, octagonal abaci and nailhead
decoration. Late C13/early C14 south arcade with quatrefoil piers. Polygonal
responds with corbelled heads. Carved-head label stops to south arcade.
Double-chamfered chancel arch with polygonal bracket responds. Double-chamfered
tower arch with semi-circular responds. Piscina, to right of altar, has double
arch head with rosette in centre. Easter Sepulchre, to left of altar, has 6
panels with cusping set under 4-centred arch head. The middle 2 panels are
stopped to form a square blank panel. Nave roof has original shallow arched
braced trusses with moulded cross beams. Carved angel and bosses. North aisle
has some original moulded beams. South aisle and chancel roofs are C19. Lancet,
in south wall of chancel, has shafted reveals. Fragments of reset carved
masonary to south pier of chancel arch and south wall of south aisle. Fragment
of Saxon interlaced sculpture, reset in north wall of tower. Jacobean communion
rail. C19 furnishings and C19 plain glass to all windows. Octagonal font with
quatrefoil base. Monuments: Adlard Apreece, died 1608. Small kneeling figure in
square recess to right of altar; flanking pilasters have heraldic devices,
inscribed tablet below and heraldic divice above. Robert, William and Robert
Apreece, c1633. Three frontal kneeling figures to left of altar, flanking
detached columns supporting a cornice with arched centre section over heraldic
device. Inscribed panels below. John Loftus died 1657; brass wall plaque to
right of altar. Various C17 inscribed floor tablets to Apreece family set in
sanctuary floor. Some masonry may be reset from Washingley Church which was
incorporated into the living of Lutton C15.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p299; RCHM: An Inventory of
Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: pl18)

Listing NGR: TL1121087789

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.