British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Southwick Hall, Attached Walls and Stable Block, Southwick

Description: Southwick Hall, Attached Walls and Stable Block

Grade: I
Date Listed: 23 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 232681

OS Grid Reference: TL0213692177
OS Grid Coordinates: 502136, 292177
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5179, -0.4962

Location: Main Street, Southwick, Northamptonshire PE8 5BL

Locality: Southwick
Local Authority: East Northamptonshire District Council
County: Northamptonshire
Country: England
Postcode: PE8 5BL

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Southwick, Northamptonshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TL09SW (North side)
5/125 Southwick Hall, attached walls
23/05/67 and Stable Block.

Country house. C14 for Knyvet family, datestones 1571 and GL/1580/ML record
rebuilding of hall and cross-wing for George Lynn. Late C18 additions and
alterations for another George Lynn and C19 additions and alterations for Capron
family, some probably by E.F. Law. Squared coursed limestone and limestone
ashlar with Colleyweston slate roofs. Originally hall and cross-wing now
irregular courtyard plan with attached stables. 2 storeys with attics and 3
storeys. Entrance front, to south, has C14 south-west wing, projecting to left
and late C16 four-window range to centre and right. South-west wing has doorway
with 4-centred arch head, inserted in 1909. C14 two-light window, with renewed
geometrical tracery, above. Projecting stair turret and one bay to left of
entrance is 3 storeys, of later C14. C16 round-head doorway to base of stair
turret, and one-window range of simple single-light windows, with stone
surrounds, to left. Steeply gabled roof to right with ashlar gable parapets,
finials and ashlar end stack. Turret and bay to left have plain ashlar copings,
with shallow gabled roof behind. Octagonal medieval end stack has cusped
openings to each face; capping-is missing. Right gable of south-west wing has a
2-light, square-head, stone mullion window to first floor, set in a shallow
projecting bay with a stone lean-to roof. Single-light window to ground floor of
bay is reset. Similar, single-light window to first floor left. Narrow one-bay
range to right of this elevation has gablet over and links with late C16 range.
Late C16/early C17 square-head doorway at ground floor is now blocked.
Single-light windows above have ogee and pointed heads. 4-window range to centre
and right, on site of hall and cross-wing, has 3-and 4-light stone mullion
windows; those at ground floor have transoms. Bay to left containing Dining
Room, breaks forward and is gabled on 2 faces. Both gables have similar
fenestration to 3 levels. Bay to right, containing the Justice Room is set back.
Centre 2 bays containing the Hall have twin gables. Square-head door to right.
Double chamfered plinth, moulded string course between floors and ashlar gable
parapets, kneelers and finials. Ashlar ridge and end stacks have moulded
cornices. Datestones 1571 to right and 1580 to left. Bellcote above right hand
kneeler of hall range. Elevation to right of entrance front was partly
reconstructed, and a first floor added, late C19. Irregular 5-window range with
gable end of Justice Room to left. 2-and 3-light stone mullion windows. Carriage
arch to far right has segmental head and ashlar dressings. Ashlar stack to apex
of left gable and similar ridge stack. Garden front, to left of entrance front,
is an irregular elevation dating from C14, late CIB and early C19. C14
south-west wing, to far right, has 3-storey gable end containing priest room
with gable end of Gothic Room behind. One-window range with C19 two-light Gothic
windows to each floor. Return wall of Gothic Room has one C14, two-light, window
with Geometrical tracery. C19 bay to left originally a staircase, now hallway,
has 2-light stone mullion window with transom. Hipped lean-to roof with gablet
at apex. Early C20 glazed lean-to to left. Gable of Dining Room range, behind,
has circular window in apex. Late C18 central projecting wing has canted wooden
bay window, with Gothick glazing bars, to gable end. Central arch-head window
above, with flanking smaller windows, all with Gothick glazing bars. Range to
left has one large, first floor, tripartite sash window, with Gothick glazing
bars. Lower section of window opens onto flat roof of single-storey C19 range.
Gable end of north range to far left has lunette in apex. Rear elevation of
north range has a 4-window range of early C19 leaded casements under flat stone
arches, to right; 2 are blind. Irregular 2-window range of casements, to centre,
with open through passageway to courtyard, at ground floor. C16 single-storey
kitchen to far left has C20 garage door. Courtyard: rear elevation of entrance
front has early C14 gabled projection to centre with a circular stair turret to
right. Two 2-light stone mullion windows with evidence of arch-head window
above, in gable. Stair turret has one cross light. Turret has C18 upper section
with vertical slate hanging and conical roof. Gable behind turret also has
vertical slate hanging. Courtyard elevation of north range has a lunette to left
with a 7-light, part-leaded, casement above. Late C19 stables, now part
dwelling, are parallel to north range and attached by C19 wall to western
corners. C19 walls to eastern corners have ashlar gatepiers. 2 storeys, 5 bays
with gabled centre bay breaking forward. Flanking half dormers with stone
gablets over. Coach house doors to left and right of centre and stable doors to
far left and right. Ashlar gable parapets and ashlar stack at ridge. Interior of
main house: entrance hall is C14 undercroft of Gothic room in south-west wing
and has vault with chamfered ribs carved corbels and central boss. Similar
undercroft to left has chamfered ribs. Spiral stone staircase leads off this
room and gives access to the Gothic Room, which has restored C14 fireplace with
sloping hood and carved corbels. East window has arched recess, to left, and
piscina to right and may have been used as an oratory. Partially visible moulded
cross beams. Stained glass in tracery of north and south windows is C14 arms of
Montfort of Beaudesert and Bohun. Priest room to left has a blocked fireplace
beneath the window and blocked doorway to north wall, probably to a garderobe.
Room above is similar. Inner staircase hall is probably C19 remodelling with C18
style turned balusters and panelling. Breakfast Room, to left, has C18 fielded
panelling, half domed cupboard to left of door and reeded marble fireplace.
Dining Room to right of staircase hall was former cross-wing and has C18 dado
rail and wooden fireplace surround with restrained Rococo decoration. Hall to
right of dining room has C18 style decoration said to be C19 remodelling; large
fireplace surround and pulvinated friezes over doors. Passage to right of hall
follows line of original screens passage and has C18 arch over and C14 doorway
at north end. Justice Room to right has C18 stone fireplace with carved
surround. C14 circular stair turret to north of train range has C18 wooden spiral
stair. Undercroft to right has chamfered rib vault and 2 shouldered doorways. 2
first floor rooms, and lobby, over Dining Room have fielded panelling and one
room has fireplace with eared surround. 2 first floor rooms above the Hall have
plain barrel vaulted ceiling. The Oak Room, to the west, has C17 panelling, with
decorated frieze, and stone fireplace surround. The Wainscote Room, to the east,
has a C18 stone fireplace with eared surround. Attics over Dining Room range
also have barrel vault ceilings. C16 kitchen in north range has raised cruck
roof structure also open fireplace and arch head doorway, both now blocked. Room
to left of kitchen has large open fireplace with bressumer and stop-chamfered
spine beans, room above has fireplace with stone surround.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p405; RCHM: An Inventory of
Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p139; Oswald A., Country
Life: 24 May 1962: p1236-1240; 31 May 1962: p1298-l301)

Listing NGR: TL0213692177

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.