British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Bulwick Hall and Attached Entrance Loggia and Garden Room, Bulwick

Description: Bulwick Hall and Attached Entrance Loggia and Garden Room

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 23 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 232863

OS Grid Reference: SP9588794050
OS Grid Coordinates: 495887, 294050
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5359, -0.5877

Location: A43, Corby NN17 3DZ

Locality: Bulwick
Local Authority: East Northamptonshire District Council
County: Northamptonshire
Country: England
Postcode: NN17 3DZ

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Bulwick, Northamptonshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

6/3 Bulwick Hall and attached
23/05/67 entrance loggia and garden
(Formerly listed as Bulwick
Hall. Loggia at Bulwick Hall)


Country house. Datestone 1676 refers to rebuilding of earlier house for James
Tryon, remodelled about 1730 for Charles Tryon, enlarged 1805, by W.D. Legg of
Stamford, for Thomas Tryon and service range rebuilt 1838; some service
buildings removed mid C20. Limestone ashlar and rendered limestone with
Collyweston and Welsh slate roofs. Double depth plan forming an L-shape with the
attached loggia. 2 storeys with attic. Main front is a 12-window range of sash
windows, with glazing bars, and moulded stone architraves. Opening to first
floor, far right, has a glazed door gaving access to the roof of the entrance
loggia. Doorway in fourth bay from left has Gibbs surround. 6-panel door and
rectangular fanlight with diagonal glazing bars. Similar door to far right has
moulded stone surround and gives access from the entrance loggia. Plain plinth
and raised band between floors. 4 roof dormers with sash windows. Hipped roof
with ashlar stacks rising from centre valley. This elevation was remodelled
about 1730, the eight windows to the right retain evidence of transoms outside
the C18 archtrave. Tryon arms above door to right. Bay attached to far left of
main front is c.1805. Shallow bow front with 3 curved sash windows with glazing
bars. Sunk panels below cills. Hipped roof behind cornice, with low parapet.
Entrance loggia, attached at right angles to far right, is of 7 bays of
segmental arches with keyblocks and rusticated surrounds. Each pier has a
moulded plinth. Moulded cornice has open balustrade, above, with turned
balusters. Rear wall of loggia has central arch-head entrance doorway flanked by
small arch-head doorways and arch-head niches. Datestone 1676 on centre
keyblock. Garden room attached to right of loggia is probably of 1730
remodelling. Single-storey, 2-window range of sash windows with moulded cornices
similar to main house, Roof not visible behind plain parapet. Elevation to right
has French doors with moulded stone architraves. Entrance front of loggia has
centre 3 bays breaking forward all in horizontally chanelled ashlar. Central
carriage arch with segmental head and doors with bolection moulded panels.
Flanking Tuscan pilasters and blocked windows with moulded architraves and
cornices. To the south of the carriage arch is a small spy hole. Balustrade
similar to other elevation. Walls flanking centre 3 bays are rendered. Moulded
keyblock above carriage arch has datestone 1676. End elevation of main front of
hall, to right, is a 2-window range of 2-light stone mullion windows with
transoms. The bay to the left is c.1676 and the bay to the right is C19. Rear
elevation has wings breaking forward to left of centre and to far right. C19
two- and three-light stone mullion windows some with transoms. The gable to the
far right is rendered and was truncated mid C20. Interior: entrance hall to far
right of main front has a plaster ribbed ceiling probably of 1838. The Dining
Room, to the left, has a reset grey marble fire surround with wooden outer
surround enriched with leaf decoration. The Library, to the left of the Dining
Room, has an orange marble fireplace with fluted pilasters. A secret dour gives
access to the Dining Room. The Staircase Hall, to the left of the Library, has
an early CIA staircase with stick balustrade and scroll brackets rising around
an open well, Plaster ceiling, probably of 1809 by John Tillson of Stamford, has
a foliage centre set in an octagon enriched with a Greek fret. The Ante-Room, to
the left of +he Staircase Hall, has an early cjq marble fireplace with reeded
eiJrroiJndo Flanking arch head recesses. Drawing Room, to far left, is1,1805-6 by
Lagqe, (Halls painted with late c20 rural+ A cellar doorway, behind the Staircase
Hall, has a chamfered surround and may be c16j there is also said to be a
2-light stone mullion window in the cellar and a similar reset window with
arch-head lights in the service range, SURE first floor rooms said to have early
iS fireplaces and attic roan said to have sole reset 018 panelling. Garden room
has reset rib fireplace with pairs of decorated columns and central crest.
Panelled walls, There are 2 small rooms, llankino the main carriage arch, which
were used as entrance lodges. Moses Tryon bought Bulwick Manor in 1617. He also
owned Harringworth Manor which was then the principal residence of the Tryons.
Bulwick Hall became their principal residence in the early/mid C18 and passed by
marriage to the Conant family,
(Buildings of England:Northamptonshire: p130: RCHM: An Inventory of
Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p25)

Listing NGR: SP9588794050

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.