British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Deene Hall, Deene

Description: Deene Hall

Grade: I
Date Listed: 23 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 232923

OS Grid Reference: SP9502392705
OS Grid Coordinates: 495023, 292705
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5239, -0.6009

Location: Deene, Northamptonshire NN17 3EW

Locality: Deene
Local Authority: East Northamptonshire District Council
County: Northamptonshire
Country: England
Postcode: NN17 3EW

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Deene, Northamptonshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SP9492, SP9592
13/58, 14/58 Deene Hall


Country house. C14 origins, C15, Great Hall begun 1571 for Sir Edmund Brudenell,
C16 to late C19 works for Brudenell family who were Earls of Cardigan. Modified
late C20. Limestone ashlar with Collyweston slate and lead roofs. Complex plan
with courtyard. 2 storeys with attic. Entrance Front, to north, probably of the
early 1660's, is a 5-window range, to first floor. Central gateway, with shallow
2-centred arch-head, has moulded stone surround and a pair of panelled doors.
Tall 2-light stone mullion windows with transoms, at first floor, originally lit
the long gallery. Corresponding windows to ground floor are 2-light with stone
mullion, all with leaded lights. Chamfered plinth and moulded string courses, at
head of ground floor windows, and cill and head of first floor windows. Flat
roof, behind castellated parapet, with 2 lateral ashlar stacks rising from the
parapet. Bay to far right has hipped roof of the west range of the courtyard,
with 2 hipped dormers. 5 lead rainwater pipes and hopper heads, between bays,
and armorial device above gateway. 5-window range, set back to right, is
probably C17 with 2-light stone mullion windows, with transoms. Gabled roof
behind plain parapet. Early C17 tower of 4 stages is set back to left of
Entrance Front and forms part of the East Front. Each stage is subdivided by a
narrow band between string courses; the upper band has armorial shields. This
face has 2-light stone mullion windows to right of each stage. Flat roof behind
castellated parapet. The tower was originally part of the north wing which was
shortened. East Front, to left of Entrance Front, is irregular with the
north-east tower to the far right. Each stage has central, 5-light, stone
mullion windows with transoms. Attached to the left of the tower is an irregular
3-bay range which was the great hall of the C15 house; now subdivided. Flanking
bays have 3-light stone mullion windows with transoms and C17 attic gablets,
with 2-light stone mullion windows. To the left of centre is a plain square
stair turret with a small square window at attic level. 2 armorial shields below
and one similar at mid-point. This stair may have related to the chapel which
projected to the left of it until mid C18. The centre of this range has a fine
Renaissance bay window, of 2 storeys, possibly reset. Each floor has an 8-light
window with transom; the lights are arranged in pairs and the mullion formed by
alternate broad and narrow, fluted, Ionic columns. The Ionic capitals form part
of the frieze and the panels above and below the windows have strapwork
cartouches. Above the window is a truncated ogee gable which abuts the attic
storey of this range. Within the gable is a 3-light stone mullion window and a
rosette above. Within the decoration are the initials of Sir Edmund Brudenell
and Agnes his wife who died in 1572. All the windows are blocked, with the
exception of 2 lights, at the ground floor, which were opened late C20. Above is
a large ashlar stack. The gabled roof has ashlar parapets. The 2-storey
one-window range, attached to the left, has a 6-light stone mullion window, with
transom, to each floor. The ground floor window has been modified C20. Behind
the castellated parapet is a flat roof with the gable of the Great Hall behind.
A C16 two-storey, 2-window range breaks forward to the left of this range and
forms part of the South Front range. 4-light stone mullion windows, with King
mullions, to ground and first floor right. 2 small oval windows and an armorial
shield to the centre. Chamfered plinth and moulded string courses between window
heads. Flat roof with castellated parapet, Octagonal turret, to left, forms part
of the South Front. The South Front consists of 2 main ranges. To the right is a
C16 eight-window range, probably incorporating part of the Solar of the original
hall. Early C19 two-light wood mullion windows, with arch-head lights, are
arranged in pairs, with 2-stage buttresses between each pair. These windows
replaced C18 sashes. Chamfered plinth and moulded string courses between window
heads. Flat roof behind castellated ashlar parapet. At the ends of this range
are castellated octagonal turrets, with windows in the south-east and south-west
faces. The turret to the left is highest and forms part of the range to the left
of the South Front. This is an 8-window range, of 1800-10, in Neo-Tudor style.
The windows are similar to the right range, with transoms. They are arranged
from left to right, 3:3:2, with continuous 4-stage gabled buttresses between
each group. Some of the ground floor windows have French doors. Flat roof behind
castellated parapet and octagonal castellated turrets at ends of range. A
ballroom range, added by Seventh Earl of Cardigan in 1865, to the west of the
South Front was demolished late C20. The West Front which now incorporates the
service ranges, is irregular, in similar style to the other facades. A laundry
was demolished in 1968. The original entrance to the medieval house was from the
west. The north elevation of the main courtyard is of the C16 Great Hall. A
2-storey porch, to right of centre, has an outer doorway with semi-circular
nead. Foliated spandrels are flanked by Ionic pilasters decorated with linked
oblongs and ovals. Frieze above is decorated with scrolls and mermaids
supporting the arms of Brudenell and Bussy. The upper storey has a 3-light stone
mullion window, with arch-head lights, flanked by Corinthian pilasters. One set
of pilasters repeats on the return walls. To the left of the porch, and centre
of the hall, is a 4-light stone mullion window, with arch-head lights and
transom. Tall bay-window in corner to left, is similar, with 6 lights and 2
transoms. Gabled roof, with ashlar parapets, is set behind eaves parapet, with
merlons. Bay to right of porch has similar stone mullion window and parapet. The
west elevation of the main courtyard is of the original hall and has a large
central canted bay-window of 6 arch-head lights, with stone mullions and 3
transoms. The window has been subdivided and the second stage is now blank. To
the left is a 2-window range, and to the right a one-window range, of similar
2-light windows. 4 eaves dormers have similar windows. Gabled roof with ashlar
parapets. The east elevation of the main courtyard is a 4-window range of stone
mullion windows with a similar attic storey to that of the west elevation. The
south elevation of the main courtyard is similar to the main Entrance Front with
a large sundial to the first floor, centre. The courtyard elevations have the
remains of lead rainwater pipes and hopper heads. Interior: Great Hall entered
at west end from porch in main courtyard. The original panelling remains at the
east end, only, and is divided into 5 sections by Doric pilasters. Above is an
armorial plaque flanked by caryatids and volutes. Fine ashlar fireplace and
overmantle, with pairs of pilasters and armorial devices, is dated 1571 and was
reset from the billiards room in 1966. Fine original roof structure, with
alternating double and single hammerbeams, pendants and ogee wind-braces, all in
Sweet Chestnut. The windows have early C17 armorial glass, restored in 1959. The
Billiards Room, on the east side of the main courtyard, is the ground floor of
the original hall. Reset C17 fireplace with chimney breast backing onto the
Renaissance bay window, on the East Front. Evidence of a C13/C14 archway
discovered in this room. Early C18 moulded ceiling beams. The principal stair,
to the east of the Great Hall, has a simple geometrical openwork balustrade of
the early C17, it is possible that this may be reset. The Chapel Parlour between
the stair and the billiards room has reset C17 panelling. The Chapel, to the
east of the stair, was created in 1971 from a room used as a loggia in C17. The
Garden Room to the south of the Chapel has some reset C17 panelling, other is
C20. The Oak Parlour to the south of the Great Hall has reset C17 panelling with
fluted pilasters and a frieze. The Bow Room, adjacent to the west, is in the
early Cl9 south front and has a bowed east wall with built in bookcases and
marble fireplace. The Drawing Room, adjacent to the west, is of the same period
with double panelled doors at either end. Dado rail, moulded cornice and marble
fireplace with Rococo style details. The Dining Roan adjacent to the west, is
also similar with a laurel wreath frieze and reset C19 fireplace, with attached
veined marble columns. The Ante-Hall to the west of the Great Hall ties a
ventilled cornice, covered ceiling and reset marble fireplace. The White Hall to
west of the Ante Hall was created early C19 as a staircase to the South Front
(and the rooms at a lower level to the north. Lattice ironwork balustrade, with
Fifth Earl of Cardigan's arms, around an open well. Moulded frieze and dentilled
cornice. The Tapestry Room, at first floor over the Billiards Room, has a C16
fireplace surround with a C17 bolection moulded inset. Fine Jacobean plaster
ceiling with pendants. Above this room is trio roof structure of the original
ball which is noted as having C15 collar beams on arched braces. The Tower Room,
adjacent, in the north-west tower, has a C17 fireplace with a heraldic
overmantle and a Jacobean plaster ceiling, also with heraldic emblems, restored
C20. King Henry's Room to the first floor of the south-east corner has linenfold
panelling; with single and double folds, fireplace with 4-centred arch-head and
heraldic panel above. The Dane commemorates a supposed visit of Henry VII on the
eve of Bosworth Field, in 1485. The Long Gallery, now subdivided, is noted as
having a large C17 fireplace. Deene was acquired in 1514 by Sir Robert
Brudenell, at which time the Great Hall was most likely in the east range, his
grandson Edmund built the present Great Hall. In 1643 the house was plundered by
Cromwell's troops and in 1661 Charles II created Sir Thomas Brudenell First Earl
of Cardigan. The house was further developed and remodelled internally by the
Earls of Cardigan. Sometime after mid C18 a Service Wing to the south was
removed. The Fifth Earl of Cardigan was responsible for remodelling and
extending the present South Front. Deene Hall was also home of the Seventh Earl
of Cardigan, hero of Balaclava.
(The gardens of Deene Hall are listed Grade II in the HBMCE County Register of
Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England; Buildings of England:
Northamptonshire: p178) Country Life: February 13 1909, Cornforth J, Country
Life March l1, 1976, p610-613, March 18, 1976., p674-677,March 25, 1976,
p750-753,April 1, 1976, p810-813; Deene Hall Guide Book; Northamptonshire
Records Office - Cartagraphical Collection)

Listing NGR: SP9502392705

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.