British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of the Holy Trinity, Blatherwycke

Description: Church of the Holy Trinity

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 23 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 233032

OS Grid Reference: SP9743595762
OS Grid Coordinates: 497435, 295762
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5510, -0.5644

Location: Blatherwycke, Northamptonshire PE8 6YW

Locality: Blatherwycke
Local Authority: East Northamptonshire District Council
County: Northamptonshire
Country: England
Postcode: PE8 6YW

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Blatherwycke, Northamptonshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

17/26 Church of the Holy Trinity
23/05/67 (Formerly listed as Holy
Trinity Church)
Church. C11 to C14, tower rebuilt early C17. Chancel rebuilt 1819, north aisle
and north chapel rebuilt mid/late C19. Squared coursed limestone with ashlar
dressings. Collyweston slate roofs with C20 plain tiles to inner slopes. Nave,
chancel, north aisle and north chapel, west tower and south porch. South
elevation of chancel of 2-window range of 3-light Decorated windows with
geometrical tracery 2-stage ashlar buttresses between windows. Corbel table with
carved heads. Gabled roof with ashlar gable parapets, finial and pinnacles at
eastern corners. Late C19, 4-light east window with curvilinear tracery and
initialled label stops. Flanking 2-stage ashlar buttresses. 3-light east window
of north aisle, to right, is also late C19 with trefoil circles and foliated
label stops. North elevation of north aisle is of 2 bays, one-window range, with
a C19 three-light window to right, with intersecting tracery. Priest door, to
left, has single chamfered surround. 2- and 3-stage ashlar buttresses, abutting
to left and 2-stage ashlar buttress to right. Gabled roof with ashlar gable
parapet and finial. South elevation of nave is of bays with irregular 2-window
range. 3-light window with intersecting tracery, to right, has carved label
stops. Central C17, two-light window has square head and hood mould. C19 porch,
with ashlar facade, breaks forward to left. Outer doorway has double-chamfered
surround. C12 inner doorway has semi-circular double-stepped head and one order
of shafts. Plank door. Gabled nave roof. South elevation of north aisle of 2
bays, one-window range, with C19 three-light window to left, with intersecting
tracery. 2-stage ashlar buttress at corner. Gabled roof with ashlar gable
parapets and finial. C19 three-light west window has geometrical tracery and
foliated label stops. 3-stage, unbuttressed, west tower with plain plinth. Reset
C12 west door with plain arch-head, now blocked. Small single-light north and
south windows in lower stage. Similar west windows in second stage. 2-light
square-head bell-chamber openings, with arch-head lights, to each face of upper
stage. Plain ashlar parapet with one gargoyle on north face. Interior: 2-bay
north arcade to nave of semi-circular arches, with small single chamfer.
Circular pier with plain spine abaci. Similar responds, that to east has
waterleaf capital. Double-chamfered chancel arch and arch from north aisle to
north chapel. Both have bracketed responds, the chancel responds are mutilated.
C12 semi-circular tower arch with plain responds. 3-bay arcade of c.1300 between
chancel and north chapel has double-chamfered arches with quatrefoil piers and
similar responds. C19 roof structures with arched braced trusses. Tall,
trefoil-head niches, with crocketed gables above, flanking east window of
chancel. Smaller niches between window and larger niches. Blocked doorway to
left of altar. Trefoil head piscina in north aisle. Square font with wheel head
cross, on circular base, restored late C19. Chancel screen has C18 turned
balusters to base, originally probably a communion rail. Simple C19 upper
section. Plain early C19 panelled pews. Pulpit with reeded pilasters. Second
pulpit in north aisle, probably reset, has eleborate carving with matching
tester. Stained glass: late C19 and early C20 windows to all chancel and north
chapel windows and west window of north aisle. Some are by Clayton and Bell. 2
south windows of chancel are probably by Kempe. Monuments: coffin lid with
foliated cross to south side of chancel. Humphrey Stafford, d.1548, and wife,
wall mounted brasses in north chapel, has simple Gothic surround with flanking
columns. Wall monument, to right, is probably Sir Humphrey Stafford, d.1575 and
wife. 2 panels with egg and dart surround and kneeling figures. Flanking
detached columns and heraldic devices above. C19 inscription. Sir Humphrey
Stafford commenced the building of Kirby Hall. Sabbian Cressener, d.1598,
inscribed brass floor tablet in chancel. Various C17 and C18 inscribed floor
slabs. Thomas Randolf, a poet, monument by Nicholas Stone c.1640 commissioned by
Sir Christopher Hatton. Inscribed marble tablet to south wall of north aisle has
oval laurel wreath. Henry O'Brien, d.1723 and wife, plain inscribed tablet in
north chapel. Reverend Edmund Popple, d.1726, inscribed tablet south wall of
chancel. Various C19 tablets in north aisle and north chapel commemorate
Stafford O'Brien family who lived at Blatherwyke Hall. Wall tablet to north wall
of nave describing late C17 charities in Blatherwyke.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p107; RCHM: An Inventory of
Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p19)

Listing NGR: SP9743595762

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.