If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Aynhoe Park
Date Listed: 11 September 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 233936
OS Grid Reference: SP5136633030
OS Grid Coordinates: 451366, 233030
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9934, -1.2533
Explore more of the area around Aynho, Northamptonshire at Explore Britain.
SP5133 AYNHO ROUND TOWN
12/37 Aynhoe Park
11/09/53 (Formerly listed as Aynho Park
Country house now flats. Early C17. Damaged by fire 1645. Remodelled for the
Cartwright family c.1665 by Edward Marshall; 1707-14, probably by Thomas
Archer; and in 1800-5 by Sir John Soane. Main block, front rendered brick and
limestone ashlar dressings. Rear and wings, limestone ashlar. U-plan with
stables and offices at right angles to central block and linked to it by
archways. North front of main block remodelled 1707-14 and 1800-5. 3 storeys;
11 bays, the 5 centre bays project under a pediment. Central doorway with
rusticated pilaster and large triple keystone breaking into the entablature.
C20 door. 15-pane sash windows with straight keystoned heads and moulded
frames, except those in 5 centre bays of first floor, which have pediments.
Balustraded parapet and pediment added by Soane. Former stables on east side
of courtyard, are of 1707-14 probably by Archer. 2 storeys; 11 bays with
pedimented 5 bay centre defined by chamfered quoins. Central doorway (now
window) has arched head, diagonally set pilasters and concave entablature
broken by a large keystone. 32-pane sash windows on ground floor and in 5
central bays on first floor, 12-pane sash windows in outer bays of first floor.
Blind lunette in pediment. Former service wing on west side courtyard is
similar. Both wings are linked to central block by triumphal arches, 1800-5 by
Soane. One storey and attic, 3 bays with Tuscan half columns flanking the arch
and arched niches in outer bays. Attic with incised decoration. Centre arch
of the western archway is glazed and formed housekeeper's room. The south front
was main entrance in C17 and is shown in a drawing of 1683 by James Fish. Some
details of this date remain. It was remodelled 1707-14. 3 storeys; 11 bays,
the 5 central bays defined by chamfered quoins and bracketed pediment. Central
doorway (now window) has Tuscan half columns and entablature with double
keystone. Arched central window on first floor flanked by Corinthian columns.
Above it is blank stone plaque and pediment framed by heads and swags of fruit.
Other windows are 15-pane sash with straight keystoned heads, except in 5
centre bays on ground and first floor which have pediments. Flanking wings
containing library to left and orangery to right added 1707-14 and heightened
1800-5. Each 2 storeys; 7 bays with arched sash windows on ground floor
divided by coupled pilasters, the capitals with inward turning volutes. First-
floor window frames have incised Grecian decoration by Soane. 2-bay pediment
on west side library by Soane. Interior: Combines work by Archer and Soane.
Entrance hall has early C18 screen of 2 pairs of fluted Doric columns on each
side and C20 alabaster fireplace. East staircase early C18, open well, with 3
balusters to each tread, twisted, fluted and twisted. The newel posts are
fluted Corinthian columns and the tread ends carved with scrolls. Walls have
4 pairs of unfluted Ionic columns added by Soane who planned a more thorough
re-modelling of the staircase. West staircase early C19 by Soane, open well
with glazed dome and iron balustrade. Garden Hall in centre of south front
remodelled by Soane with shallow apsidal ends and groin vault. Early C19 fire-
place of grey and white marble with oval figure reliefs linked by swags.
French Drawing Room to east has mid C19 rococo revival fireplace in red marble
with ormolu decoration. The dining room to the west has at one end 2 unfluted
Ionic columns screening a serving alcove with apsidal ends, each with an
early C19 mahogany buffet. The library has an early C19 cornice of small
Gothic fans and a marble fireplace in the style of Soane with fluted sides and
frieze. The "Cold Bathroom" at the east end of main block on ground floor, by
Soane (re-modelled 1952) has a Greek cross plan with a groin vault on swelling
Tuscan columns. Interior of upper floors not inspected. Park, reputedly
landscaped by Capability Brown.
(H. Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of English Architects, 1978 edition, pp.69,
539 and 770; G. Nares, Aynhoe Park; Country Life 2nd, 9th and 16th July 1953,
pp.42, 122, 202).
Listing NGR: SP5136633030
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.