Description: The Manor House
Date Listed: 4 February 1969
English Heritage Building ID: 234358
OS Grid Reference: SP4995748779
OS Grid Coordinates: 449957, 248779
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1351, -1.2715
Explore more of the area around Chipping Warden and Edgcote, Northamptonshire at Explore Britain.
CHIPPING WARDEN BANBURY ROAD
SP44NE (South side)
4/87 The Manor House
Manor House. C16, remodelled C17,( date 1668 on rainwater head) and c.1927.
Coursed squared ironstone, with coursed ironstone and limestone rubble, tile
roof, stone stacks. L-plan. Main house of double-depth plan has C16 section to
north, C17 additions to south with former service wing projecting to north east.
South front, 2 storeys and attic, 6 bays. 2-storey porch in third bay from right
has doorway framed by Tuscan pilasters and straight moulded entablature. C17/C18
eight-panel double doors with rectangular overlight. Rainwater head with date
1668 to left of porch. All windows have 2 lights with plain stone frames,
original wood mullions and transoms and leaded panes: Straight moulded parapet.
3 hipped dormers with wood casements. Coped gables with kneelers and finials.
Lower wing set back to right, one bay, 2 storeys, has C20 two-light stone
mullioned window on ground floor and C17 two-light window with wood mullion and
transom on first floor. West side, 2 bays, has C19 two-storey canted bay window
in each bay. North front, said to be original entrance: 2 storeys and attic, 4
irregular bays with 2 gables to right. Doorway in second bay from right, has
wood lintel, moulded wood frame with stop chamfered jambs and C17 ribbed and
studded plank door with date 1659 inscribed on hinge inside the house. Small
2-light window with wood lintel and original wood mullion to right. 6-light
window to left with wood lintel and original moulded wood mull ions and transom.
Small tower in left bay, 2 storeys has C20 wood casement window on both floors
and straight parapet. 4-light window with wood lintel and original wood mullions
and transom in second bay from left of first floor. 3-light window with original
wood mullions and transom and wood lintel above entrance. 2 small C20 mezzanine
windows in right bay between first floor and attic. C20 attic windows in right
bay and second bay from right. Main entrance formed on east side of house
c.1927. Service wing to left of north front, 2 storeys, 4 bays, said to have had
arch to stable yard in centre, now blocked and filled by C20 stone-mullioned
window. 4-light stone mullioned windows on either side. 2- and 3-light windows
on first floor with plain stone lintels, wood mullions and old iron casements.
Interior: Rooms on south side have decorative plasterwork and joinery of
c.1670-80, including the Drawing Room with wood panelled walls, and fireplace
framed by plain pilasters, frieze with blank rectangular tablet and panelled
overmantel. Study has panelled walls, carved wooden fireplace with frieze of bay
leaves and overmantel with large oval wreath of fruit and flowers. Motif
repeated in plasterwork on ceiling divided into four by cross-beams with oval
wreath in each section. Beams decorated with anthemion and palmette patterns.
Small Drawing Room has re-used C16-Cl7 panelling and carved wooden overmantel of
c.1680 with broken pediment. Former gallery on first floor, originally 5 bays,
now partitioned as 2 bedrooms. Main bedroom has carved wooden fireplace with
overmantel framed by pilasters with pendants of fruit. Ceiling has cross beams
decorated with anthemion pattern and rosettes and frieze of drapery swags and
fruit. Adjoining bedroom has similar frieze and ceiling in adjoining room and
carved wooden fireplace framed by volutes and swags of fruit, frieze of laurel
leaves and altered overmantel with pilasters. Panelled walls with beaded
mouldings. Small bedroom has re-used early C17 panelling and overmantel with C17
painting on canvas of horsemen in landscape. Early C17 dog-leg staircase has
flat balusters carved on each side with medallions, wide moulded handrail and
panelled newel posts with lantern-shaped finials. Secondary staircase, c.l670
has turned balusters and newels with ball finials. Manor purchased in 1619 from
Griffin family by Sir Richard Saltonstall. His grandson also Richard (died 1688)
probably made the C17 additions to the house. In the early C18 it passed by
marriage to Francis North first Earl of Guildford.
(G. Baker, Northamptonshire, 1822-30, Vol.I, p.526-7).
Listing NGR: SP4995748779
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.