If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Date Listed: 4 February 1969
English Heritage Building ID: 234375
OS Grid Reference: SP4989248700
OS Grid Coordinates: 449892, 248700
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1344, -1.2725
There is also a scheduled monument, Market Cross 45m North of Church, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Chipping Warden and Edgcote, Northamptonshire at Explore Britain.
CHIPPING WARDEN MILL LANE
SP44NE (West side)
4/104 Church of St. Peter and St.
Church. Late C13 origins, but predominantly C14 and early C15. Regular coursed
ironstone with moulded plinths; chancel has some rubble. Lead roofs; chancel
roof plastic. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower, south porch and north vestries.
Decorated and Early Perpendicular style. 4-bay nave with 5-bay aisles embracing
tower, 3-bay chancel. Early Perpendicular tower of 4 stages: Substantial
diagonal buttresses. Ribbed double-leaf arched west door in moulded doorway with
fluerons and crocketed ogee hood mould; badly eroded. Small moulded panel to
left. Moulded string course, continued across buttresses. 3-light window with
moulded arch and jambs, and flanking small moulded ogee niches. Upper stages
have simple moulded string courses. Bell openings of 2 traceried lights with
transom and hood mould. Crenellated parapet with panelled and crocketed
pinnacles. South porch Early Perpendicular. Diagonal buttresses with 2 offsets.
Low pitched roof with gable and side parapet and elaborately moulded arch. East
side has trefoiled lancet, west side has 2-light traceried window. Ribbed
double-leaf south door and elaborate Early Perpendicular moulded doorway. Both
aisles have string course at sill level. South aisle has moulded parapet with
gargoyle near east end. Two 2-light south and 3-light east windows with
reticulated tracery. North and south aisles each have 3-light Perpendicular west
window with cinqfoiled lights, straight head and hood mould. North aisle has
gabled diagonal buttresses; east buttress has niche with nodding ogee arch.
Parapet with alternating head and ballflower frieze. North door (blocked inside)
between 2 westernmost windows has string course carried over as hood mould.
Plank door with decorative strap hinges. 3 Decorated north windows have hood
moulds with head stops. Nave has moulded parapets throughout. Early
Perpendicular clerestory of three 4-light windows with cusped lights and hood
mould. Chancel has square-headed south doorway with plank door, inserted below
2-light Perpendicular window. To left a late C13 two-light low side window with
plate tracery; to right, a 3-light Decorated window. Early Perpendicular 4-light
east window of 8 cusped lights in 2 tiers, with moulded arch and jambs, North
vestries have 3-light Perpendicular north window, and 3-light Decorated east
window with ogee arch, and hood mould with head stops. Interior: Wide nave and
aisles. Tall wide 4-bay Early Perpendicular arcade. Piers of 4 main and 4
subsidiary shafts, with broad fillets. Elaborately moulded arches, bases and
capitals. Hood moulds with angel stops; head stops to aisles. Perpendicular roof
with head corbels. Tall elaborately moulded Transitional tower arch with head
stops, and two heads in wall above arch. Lower part blocked; upper part has
balustrade with turned balusters. Aisles have blind triple-chamfered tower
arches; south aisle arch has hood mould. South aisle has Perpendicular roof with
moulded tie beams. 3 sedilia and adjoining piscina have detached shafts with
fillets, moulded arches and hood moulds and fragments of dog-tooth ornament.
Piscina now blocked has simple ogee arch and square hood mould. North aisle has
lean-to roof. 2 moulded corbels in north wall. Triple-chamfered chancel arch
without imposts. Chancel has king-post roof with moulded purlins and
Transitional style head corbels; eastern roof truss filled in with Gothic
openwork. North wall has remains of 2 blocked round arches and small 2-centred
door with hood mould. Small piscina, and C14 stone shelf on good head corbel.
Squint into chancel from west vestry. South wall has ogee-headed piscina. Stone
seat below easternmost window. West vestry has small piscina or holy water stoup
with trefoiled arch and semi octagonal shaft. Fittings: octagonal stone font
with panels of shields and fleurs de lys, and carved foliage. Painted wooden
cover dated 1662(?). C17 aisle west screens with moulded muntins, openwork top
with diagonally-set square uprights, and spikes; doors with H-L hinges Simple
moulded stone reredos with C17 wood panels. Late C17/early C18 panelled pulpit
with back panel and tester, pews, and box pews, in tiers at west end. C18 altar
rails with vase and column balusters. Aumbry with carved and moulded wood door
inscribed "John Ward Gave This 1627" set in chancel north wall. Royal arms in
tower arch. Monuments: north aisle floor brass: William Makepiece, d.1584, and
wife; small figures, with daughters below. Chancel floor brass: William Smarte,
rector, d.1468; small figure. Wall monument; Edward Bathurst, d.1668. (Buildings
of England: Northamptonshire, pp. 148-9).
Listing NGR: SP4989248700
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.