If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Gayton Manor House
Date Listed: 1 December 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 234673
OS Grid Reference: SP7056754833
OS Grid Coordinates: 470567, 254833
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1872, -0.9692
Explore more of the area around Gayton, Northamptonshire at Explore Britain.
8/43 Gayton Manor House
House. Mid/late C16 with C18 extensions, restored 1923. Coursed squared
limestone with some ironstone, ironstone dressings, roof mostly late C18 plain
tiles with part of original stone slate roof retained on lower edges, brick
lateral and stone ridge stacks. Cruciform plan orientated approximately on
cardinal points. 2 storeys and attic. House faces south and forms symmetrical
composition with 3-storey gabled bay windows to gable ends of front and side
wings. Bay windows are canted to ground and first floors. Central bay window has
3 lights to ground and first floors, 2 lights to attic, with single lights to
sides and 2-light basement or cellar window. Central wing is flanked by 2-storey
porches in angles either side with Tudor-arched doors, 3-light windows above
door and to first floor with side-lights to south, 1-light windows to ground
floor sides and plain stone-coped parapets. 3-light windows to ground and first
floors of projecting wings facing south. Bay windows to ends of side wings have
4 lights to ground and first floors with king mullions; 3 lights to attic and
side-lights. That to east has 4-light cellar window with king mullion, that to
west lighting hall has larger ground floor window with transom to front at level
of sills of side-lights and cutting plinth. Rear wing housing staircase is
slightly shorter and has no bay window; door to right with wood lintel and
straight hood on brackets, 2-light window to left, a 3-light mezzanine window,
pair of 2-light windows to first floor and 3-light attic window. Wing flanked by
2-storey C18 lean-to extension to right, one storey lean-to extension to left
with casement windows. All original windows have hollow-chamfered stone mullions
and arched lights with cut spandrels, except for chamfered mullions of east wing
cellar window. Original windows and doors have hood moulds. Moulded plinth,
stone-coped gables with kneelers and ironstone quoins. Interior Hall has large
moulded Tudor-arched stone fireplace and moulded bar-stop-chamfered spine beans,
Small gallery to inner corner with turned balusters believed formerly to have
extended the full length of inner end wall. Door to stairs has chamfered wood
surround, that to porch moulded stone surround. Panelled drawing room has
Tudor-arched stone fireplace with cut spandrels and ornamental wood surround
with fluted pilasters, carved panel and overmantel. Panelling divided in
sections by fluted pilasters. Similar pilasters flank doors which have straight
hoods on console brackets, that to porch formerly with pedimental fretwork.
Dog-leg staircase has turned balusters and octagonal newel posts with square
finials. A secondary straight flight with serpentine splat balusters leads to
attic. Door to drawing room has Tudor-arched wood surround with initials FBT on
shield in left carved spandrel, knot to right spandrel. Door at head of stairs
leading to first floor has double-leaf doors with horizontal oval in quartered
central rectangular panel to each leaf. First floor lobby originally open to
present bedroom opposite stairs which has round wood pillar just within present
partition wall near corners either side and stone corner fireplaces with
Tudor-arched heads and cut spandrels either side of front bay window. One
fireplace appears to be a dummy for symmetry, with no flue. Similar larger
fireplaces to rooms either side of lobby. Moulded stop-chamfered spine beans.
Partition wall of bedroom to east occupies original position. Stone cellar or
basement opens off inner end of hall. Almost certainly built not as manor house
but lodge, perhaps with detached kitchen. Originally owned by Tanfield family,
sold 1607 by Sir Francis Tanfield. Said to have been built 1540 by Francis
Tanfield who died 1558 and is buried with his wife Bridget in the church (q,v,).
The plan of the house is similar to that of Lyveden New Beild, but does not, in
this case, appear to have any religious significance.
(J. Alfred Gotch, 'Architecture of the Renaissance in England', second edition,
1914, p.187 and fig. 195; J. Alfred Gotch, 'The Old Halls and Manor Houses of
Northamptonshire', 1936, p.72; Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.222).
Listing NGR: SP7056754833
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.