Description: Northumberland Hall (Assembly Rooms)
Date Listed: 20 February 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 235774
OS Grid Reference: NU1864613283
OS Grid Coordinates: 418646, 613283
Latitude/Longitude: 55.4131, -1.7070
NU 1813 SB 1/63 20.2.52.
1826 with octagonal extension 1830;. Built by Duke of Northumberland. Three storeys,
10 windows; ashlar built. Arcade of depressed arches continued round octagonal,
East end with band above; giant order pilasters to moulded cornice; band below
2nd floor; parapet to hipped slate roof. One ridge chimney to west, another on
east end wall. Second-floor window mostly blind (1st floor attic). First floor
windows have glazing bar and casement arrangement for upper windows. Within arcade
a ceiling of long slabs, 1st bay from west blocked and with an upright cast iron
pump outside (disused). Old arrangement of market booths with a smallish window
between doors still largely survives. East end only 2 storeys to octagonal extension;
gable end of main part, articulated with a pediment flanked by 2 giant order pilasters
and having antefixae. At west end, blind central ground floor arch has tablet
commemorating the gift of the Hall by the Duke to the town 1919.
Listing NGR: NU1863913282
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.