Description: Former Railway Terminus
Date Listed: 25 August 1977
English Heritage Building ID: 235863
OS Grid Reference: NU1915512941
OS Grid Coordinates: 419155, 612941
Latitude/Longitude: 55.4100, -1.6990
Former Railway Terminus
SU 1912 6/385
Rebuilt 1887 Probably by William Bell (architect to the N.E.R.) who built the Darlington
Bank Top Station, which it resembles, in the same year. Large and solidly built
of rock faced snecked rubble with slate roofs "to be worthy of the ducal town"
and to accommodate the Alnmonth and Coldstream branch lines. The west, booking
hall, front is single storey with rounded corners, 2 pairs of windows at the sides
and on corners and triple openings flanking the large central entrance. Cast iron
bracketted canopy across centre portion. Three ridge chimneys; tops of train sheds,
set back now ridge, capped with open segmental pediments. Plinth; modillions
to high eaves cornice. Segmental headed windows with "Board-School" glazing and
continuous hood roll interrupted only by end piers. Side elevations of 16 bays,
segmental headed windows in panels formed by dividing piers, plinth and modillion
cornice set below eaves level. Double train sheds, still partly open to the east
which is flanked by large side piers framing 2 wide segmental arches with vertical
east iron glazing on a cambered base. These train shed arches are separated by
a smaller segmental arch to the central platforms also with vertical cast iron
glazing. Two cast iron columns with simple corinthian columns exposed below.
nterior: 3 aisles of 7 bays separated by cast iron columns with simple corinthian
capitals supporting girder arches. Segmental roofs, with raised centre
parts over lines.
Listing NGR: NU1915512941
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.