Description: Vicarage to Church of the Holy Sepulchre with Attached Yard Wall and Outbuildings
Date Listed: 18 December 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 235902
OS Grid Reference: NZ2645287618
OS Grid Coordinates: 426452, 587618
Latitude/Longitude: 55.1822, -1.5861
ASHINGTON WANSBECK ROAD
NZ 28 NE (West side)
2/31 Vicarage to Church
of the Holy
attached yard wall
Vicarage, outbuildings and wall, c.1897. Snecked rock-faced stone with cut
dressings; Welsh slate roof except for red tiles on pent bay to south.
Irregular plan; Arts and Crafts style. West elevation 2 storeys, 1 + 2 bays:
projecting gabled left part has ground-floor canted bay. Right part, with
taller roof, has 6-panel door in entablature surround with carved pulvinated
frieze and swan-neck pediment, behind low screen wall with flat coping ramped
down to end pier with ball finial. Right return 1 + 1 bays: projecting gabled
left part has stack corbelled-out above projection, continued to right under
pent roof, with 2 cross windows; right part has large cross-axial stack on
on roof slope, and hipped roof. 1-, 2- and 3-light windows in moulded surrounds
with varied cornices and hoodmoulds, mostly holding sashes with smaller panes
in upper leaf; some small-paned casements. Rear (east) elevation shows
attached screen wall to right with boarded door and hatches; stack with moulded
cornice at right end. Wall, with pent outbuildings behind, returns to enclose
yard on 3 sides.
Interior largely contemporary. Sitting room has coffered ceiling and panelled
inglenook, which has fixed seats with balustrade arm rests. Dogleg stair with
splat balusters and moulded newels with pinnacle finials. Contemporary
fireplaces, 6-panel doors.
Listing NGR: NZ2645287618
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.